Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 9/1/2021
HOURLY: 16/HR Minimum
A Scenery Technician is responsible for the construction and installation of all scenery using a variety of methods and materials as assigned.
- Perform all duties and projects as assigned by the Scenery Director and/or Construction Charge.
- Construction of scenic pieces in wood, metal, plastic and other materials.
- Develop a complete and thorough understanding of construction drawings and paperwork for each production as assigned.
- Actively participate in all builds, strikes and load-ins for each production.
- Participate in the daily cleaning and maintenance of the scene shop and its equipment.
- Help implement and practice safety policies in the scene shop.
- The Scenery Technician will maintain all hand tools distributed to them as outlined in the Scene Shop Policy Manual.
- Represent the theatre’s technical resources as required by the Production Manager for theatre programs including, but not limited to: special events, education and community outreach programs, building rentals, and other non-Alley building functions.
- Act in concert with the theatre’s safety policies.
- Additional duties as assigned.