Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 9/1/2021
SALARY: 42,000 /YR Minimum
The Cutter/Draper, in concert with their team of First Hand(s), and Stitcher(s), is primarily responsible for the creation and adaptation of women’s costumes and men’s costumes as assigned.
- Become familiar with each project through the careful review of scripts, renderings, and research as provided by Designer and/or Costume Design Assistant.
- In collaboration with the Costume Designer, Costume Design Assistant, and Costume Director, assess and manage costume needs of all productions.
- Work with Designer, Costume Director, and Costume Design Assistant to evaluate, negotiate, and determine fabrics and other materials used in the construction of costumes.
- Drape and/or pattern and fit all new costumes, and fit, alter, and refurbish pulled, rented, and or borrowed costumes for all productions.
- Supervise and instruct First Hands and Stitchers in the cutting, stitching, altering, and finishing of costumes, specifically overseeing construction techniques, special projects, and efficient completion of assigned tasks.
- Collaborate with Costume Director on the scheduling of the costume shop floor staff to best support the needs of each production.
- Work in collaboration with the Costume Director and Costume Design Assistant to determine fitting schedules and Designer travel.
- Evaluate and make timely requests, through the Costume Design Assistant and Costume Director, for necessary material goods for the successful completion of all costumes.
- Work with the Costume Director to determine the most efficient use of time and materials.
- Instruct the Wardrobe staff as to the proper use and fastening of costumes and costume pieces.
- Attend Photo Calls, Dress Rehearsals, and Previews as requested by Costume Director.
- In collaboration with the Costume Director, manage the day-to-day maintenance and cleanliness of costume work and storage spaces, and equipment.
- Related duties as required by the Costume Director.
- Represent the theatre's technical resources as required by the Production Manager for theatre programs including, but not limited to: special events, education and community outreach programs, building rentals, and other non-Alley building functions.
- Act in concert with the theatre’s safety policies
- Training new team members
- Motivating and coaching employees to improve performance, provide feedback and training opportunities.
- Organizes and oversees the schedules and work of team.
- Ensuring staff members follow company policies and procedures.