Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 9/1/2021
HOURLY: 20/HR Minimum
The Crafts Supervisor shall be responsible for the costume crafts for all productions at the Alley.
- In collaboration with the Costume Designer, the Design Assistant, and Costume Director, assess and manage all aspects of the millinery and craft needs of all productions, including but not limited to: hats, shoes, masks, jewelry, gloves, armor, bags, mechanical and other specialty pieces, dyeing and distressing
- Prepare all necessary items for and attend fittings as required by each project
- Dye, paint, distress and alter fabrics, trims, costumes, and accessories to meet deadlines as determined in conjunction with the Draper/Tailor and Design Assistant
- Construct and/or refurbish and adapt hats and other headwear
- Construct and/or refurbish and adapt costume accessory items (i.e. shoes, jewelry, fans, gloves, etc.)
- Assist the Costume Shop Staff with costume hardware such as grommets, corset boning, lacing tips, etc.
- Construct and/or refurbish and adapt all masks. Construct prosthetics as assigned
- Construct, or assist the Draper/Tailor and team, in the construction of unusual costumes (i.e. fantasy costumes, animals, etc.)
- Attend Dress Rehearsal as requested by Costume Director
- Maintain the physical plant of the Craft/Millinery areas, and notify the Costume Director of necessary repairs and replacements
- Assist in the construction of costumes, when not actively working on crafts/millinery projects, as supervised by the Costume Director
- Related duties as required by the Costume Director
- Represent the theatre's technical resources as required by the Production Manager for theatre programs including, but not limited to: special events, education and community outreach programs, building rentals, and other non-Alley building functions.
- Act in concert with the theatre’s safety policies
- Additional duties as assigned.