The Agronomist will serve as a primary support to the Sales Team, Research & Development Department and grower customers which includes: working with growers to develop organic fertility programs for specific cropping systems, performing fertility trials in grower fields with wide range of True products, working closely with PNW Sales Team to perform demonstration trials comparing True products against competitor products, working closely with R&D Team to field trial new True Organic products in PNW cropping systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following as well as other duties and responsibilities, which may be assigned.
As an employee of True Organic Products it is everyone’s responsibility to adhere to all safety and company policies: the Injury and Illness Prevention Program, Food Safety and the employee handbook.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs assignments in accordance with established safety policies and procedures.
- Adheres to the Quality Policy, including all items assigned to this position in accordance with safety policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Complies with the code of conduct and standards set forth in the Employee Handbook.
- Displays appropriate work ethics in the workplace and group setting which provides a positive influence on co-workers.
- Assures that all work assigned to the position is performed in accordance with specifications, instructions and requirements.
- Maintains good housekeeping and clean working areas in assigned work sites.
- Works with team members to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Wears required Personal Protective Equipment.
· Conducts and participates in studies and projects of new fertilizer blends on plants on site or at universities.
· Able to conduct all aspects of agricultural research independently without substantial supervision, assistance, and/or feedback.
· Establishing, monitoring, maintaining, and evaluation of field trials in a wide range of cropping systems.
· Analyzes results of investigations to determine measures needed to maintain, restore, and improve proper crop management.
· Interprets and communicates data and trends.
· Works on new products alongside the Sales Team and R&D Department.
· Acts as a liaison with universities, government extensions and industry personnel in the US, and abroad markets, to gather information and make sure company is current on the latest technical information.
· Consults growers on crop management, advising on problems and alternative solutions, providing technical and planning assistance.
· Responsible for conducting grower meetings and extension activities including grower technical seminars and on-farm visits as it pertains to True products and fertility programs.
· Conducts trials that evaluate soil fertility and soil health in both organic and conventional cropping systems with growers.
· Maintains an ongoing relationship with growers.
· Evaluates soil and plant tissue tests and recommend fertility program modifications to improve crop performance.
· Evaluates potential additives in combination with our current products.
· Records, organizes and concisely reports the findings from all the projects.
· Other responsibilities involve updates, interactions, and presentations to growers, customers and True management using the latest communication and network technologies.
· Identifies areas for improvement and increases efficiency; assists in implementing approved changes.
· Complies with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
· Participates in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· BSc or MSc in Plant/Crop Science, Agronomy (or related fields), with 2-5 year (BSc) or 1-3 year (MSc) relevant work experience.
· Certified Crop Advisor or Certified Professional Agronomist Certification is preferred but not required.
· Experience performing agricultural research, fundamental understanding of scientific method, experimental design, statistics, etc.
· Experience working within commercial agriculture and a thorough understanding of how agriculture is performed at a large scale.
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Qualified candidates must possess a valid Drivers License.
· Bilingual in English/Spanish is preferred but not required.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Proven background with computers and software (including Windows and Microsoft Office).
· Flexibility to work off-hours to meet company obligations to include by not limited to weekends.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT: physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Employee frequently is required to sit. Employee is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
· Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25-30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
· Environment in agricultural production is outside and can therefore be highly variable including hot, windy, cold, rainy, etc. Job requires that work must be performed during these harsh working conditions.
· Environment at plant is dirty, dusty, odiferous, and 24/7 in all types of weather.