Position: Summer Camp Director
Department: Family Engagement
Status: Non-Exempt, Seasonal, Full-Time, At-will
Supervisor: Senior Director of Preschool, Youth, and Family Engagement
The Summer Camp Director will direct, supervise and implement programs for school-age children and teens, through August of 2021 or later, dependent upon fulfillment of the Youth & Camp Director position. Youth and Camp programs include summer day camp, seasonal day camps, programs for children with special needs, after-school and out-of-school programs, and teen leadership programs. The IYCD will ensure a fun and safe environment is maintained for children and teens of every background and belief to learn, explore new ideas and interests, and establish a strong sense of belonging to a supportive community. Programs will focus on imparting a connection to universal values through a Jewish lens, with a focus on respect, kindness, and responsibility to one another. The IYCD will strive to ensure that staff and program participants become responsible, respectful global citizens.
- Manage and oversee all Youth and Camp programs
- Maintain age-appropriate behavioral expectations and guidelines for children and families and provide consistent support for children, families, and staff
- Maintain budgets for the Youth and Camp department
- Ensure Judaic values and experiences are at the core of summer camp and other Youth and Camp programs
- Work with Marketing Department to implement marketing strategies
- Manage and monitor program enrollment/registration, ensuring that all required paperwork is submitted and that budgeted enrollment expectations are maintained or modified as needed
- Maintain rosters and attendance records for all programs
- Provide regular communications with families, including weekly e-newsletters, personal conversations, and social media
- Adhere to and be knowledgeable of ACA standards and compliance. Carry out all policies and procedures of JSV and the ACA (American Camp Association) and maintain ACA certification.
- Respond to emergency situations in accordance with campus and JSV protocols
- Attend Family Engagement committee meetings and work with the Camp taskforce.
- Hire and manage sub-contracted vendors
- Inventory and maintain supplies/equipment
- Coordinate with other JSV departments and external partners on community events and programs
- Perform all other duties as assigned and as business dictates.
- Recruit, hire, onboard, train, and evaluate Youth and Camp program staff; ensure all staff understand best practices, manage groups of children well, communicate effectively with families and establish a strong staff community through team building activities.
- Create schedules and manage day-to-day operations (sick days, time off, cabin placement, etc.)
- Monitor staff interaction with children and assist with behavior management and communication with families as needed
- Plan, implement, and assist in leading weekly camp staff meetings to ensure all programs are accurate, safe, free of conflict, adequately supplied, etc.
- Liaise between internal departments (swim staff) and outside agencies and vendors
- Interact positively with all children, families, board members, and staff at all times
- Serve as key point of contact for all Youth & Camp programs, providing a friendly, kind, and welcoming experience for children and families
- Be familiar with and ensure that all program and agency policies are communicated clearly and followed appropriately
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding families and staff
- Maintain accurate records; prepare and submit reports as requested by supervisor in a timely manner
- Develop a positive work relationship with program staff and JSV co-workers