Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Volunteer Engagement Specialist to join the Volunteer Engagement team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Volunteer Engagement Specialist helps coordinate VE efforts to recruit, select, train, develop, and lead short-term and high impact (HI) volunteers who will serve, rescue and transform those in greatest need through the grace of Jesus Christ, with a primary focus on recruiting, training and coordinating volunteer appreciation events. Cultivate and support volunteer efforts, programs, and outreach within and outside the Mission. Provide outstanding support which is consistently and predictably customer-friendly, speedy, accurate and dependable for all volunteers, residents, guests, and staff.
Our Volunteer Engagement team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
±8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday. Periodic weekends and evenings (1-2x/wk) may be required, on occasion.
Essential Job Duties
- Provide efficient and friendly telephone, email, and administrative support to VE office and Mission Receptionist Desk.
- Partner with staff to ensure biblical and comprehensive VE program throughout the Mission.
- Champion VE throughout the Mission, educating and encouraging volunteers and staff about benefits and results of VE programs.
- In conjunction with supervisors and Mission leadership, create and maintain volunteer pathways to foster and cultivate volunteers for HI roles within the Mission.
- Work with Mission staff to:
- Communicate/promote volunteer service opportunities to existing/potential volunteers.
- Help develop recruiting messages and strategies.
- Help develop and maintain a consistent process to select high impact volunteers.
- Guide and track volunteers through the selection and placement process.
- Schedule, place and orient short-term volunteers into appropriate positions.
- Develop and manage volunteer appreciation events, in coordination with program ministry staff and management.
- Provide feedback, training, and correction for volunteers.
- Register and record all volunteer hours for management and L&I reporting purposes.
- Utilize the volunteer database for monthly reporting and volunteer information.
- Provide technical support, training, and oversight, as needed, for VE database.
- Perform background checks for volunteer applicants.
- Manage VE newsletter and/or compile and write volunteer stories/articles for various Mission publications.
- Take lead role, on-site and off-site, to help schedule, plan, run and follow-up on volunteer fairs, tours or group/corporate/service projects.
- Manage and address volunteer concerns to remove barriers to effective, on-going service.
- Provide liaison and follow-up support to volunteer groups—churches, corporations, etc.
- Assist in supervising volunteers as needed.
- Develop prayer support team with focus on mobilizing and catalyzing volunteers for service.
- Fulfill other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Attend and participate in Mission, Division and Department meetings and training, as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission’s Statement of Faith and Mission Statement and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and be able to meet the standards of the Mission driver criteria is required, including but not limited to:
- Clean driving record
- No current suspensions or revocations
- At least 21 years of age
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal skills and attention to detail required.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Database experience desired (e.g., MS Access, Volunteer HUB, etc.)
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative required.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with a diverse population a must.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team required.
- Sense of humor, flexibility, and grace a must.