Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Chaplain to join the Men's Recovery Program team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Chaplain supports the ministries of the Men’s Recovery Programming (MRP) by providing high quality case management, care, counseling, spiritual leadership and records management for residents in the recovery program.
Our Men’s Recovery Program team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
We currently have two positions available:
One regular position and one temporary position that is anticipated to end on or before January 2, 2020.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, with occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays
Essential Job Duties
- Meet weekly with assigned program men.
- Conduct pastoral and crisis counseling when needed and recommend appropriate plan of action.
- Ensure program residents are meeting their assigned goals as it pertains to their program, and that they are adhering to program policies.
- Become an expert in the chosen addiction recovery curriculum.
- Develop and maintain professional-quality case management files and become proficient with Clarity – our client tracking system - for assigned men as outlined in the program guidelines.
- Meet weekly with supervisor and recovery team to discuss status of assigned men and any pertinent program information.
- Record, report, and maintain required records and statistical information including input into work therapy schedules and recovery program.
- Maintain an atmosphere in the dormitories that will be most conducive to safety, dignity, and cleanliness.
- Use independent judgment regarding program resident discipline, including barring and exiting based on recovery guidelines and management policies.
- Perform periodic drug screening of men as requested.
- Facilitate Genesis support groups and teach assigned curriculum.
- Conduct intake interviews with prospective residents for the program.
- Maintain a positive, pleasant, professional Christian attitude. Work with other staff to forge and model transparent and supportive Christian relationships which will serve as a leadership example for recovery program men.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All staff are encouraged to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization. All employees are expected to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and training, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and be able to meet the standards of the Mission driver criteria required, including but not limited to:
- Clean driving record
- No current suspensions or revocations
- At least 21 years of age
- Maintain strong knowledge of MRP addiction recovery curriculum
- Knowledge and understanding of case management standards and practices required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and Word required.