ABOUT the church of ST. JOHN THE DIVINE: The Church of St. John the Divine is a top-10 Episcopal Church, centrally located in Houston, Texas. Founded in 1940, St. John the Divine has a membership of over 2,500 families and an average Sunday attendance of 900 people between our traditional, contemporary and Awesome services. We are an inclusive & welcoming community of Christians with diverse backgrounds committed to “Changing Lives for God in Christ”. Our vision is to help all people connect with Jesus in ways that change their world for good. We are focused people who: WORSHIP God in all we do and pray without ceasing, CONNECT with one another in ways that bless and enrich our lives, GROW deeper in biblical faith and equip generations of servant leaders and GO into the world serving with others to help bless all people. St. John’s Episcopal Church is an open community, welcoming people wherever they are on their faith journey.
Ministry Mission & Values: The GROW Ministry of St. John the Divine focuses on providing the tools for individuals to grow deeper in biblical faith and equip generations of servant leaders.
Principal Functions: The ESL Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administration to further the development and success of the ESL Ministry, including the Conversation Class Program. The ESL Administrative Assistant will support volunteers, instructors, and administration to help facilitate learning for students. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organizational skills. The ESL Administrative Assistant must be able to work under pressure and handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. This is a part-time seasonal position, needed for spring and fall semesters through December 2021, subject to extension. This is a non-exempt hourly position, with a Monday – Wednesday work schedule.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Serve as support to instructors, volunteers, and staff members.
- Implement the registration process and manage waitlist (when applicable), reporting on enrollment and revenues as requested.
- Grade and record scores for all oral and written exams.
- Prepare all supporting materials needed for each instructional and conversation class session – such as name badges, place cards, sign-in sheets, books, class materials, photocopies, etc.
- Ensure each ESL classroom and/or instructional environment is reserved and correctly organized for example, ensuring that chairs and tables are set up correctly, technology is functioning properly ahead of class time.
- Maintain financial records including spreadsheet for registration fees, book sales, coffee donations, field trips, expenditures by coordinators and teachers.
- Ensure online files are complete and up to date including class lists, attendance records, conversation class lessons and syllabus, financial records.
- Organize bimonthly meetings to include ESL Director, Instructors and Conversation Class Coordinator. Collect meeting agenda items and send out a prepared agenda ahead of the meeting. Take meeting minutes, distribute them by the end of the following day.
- Assist in planning and organizing other ESL committees for extra-curricular class activities – i.e. parties, celebrations, and field trips.
- Assist ESL instructors and Conversation Class Coordinator to recruit and communicate with volunteers.
- Consistently communicate with instructors, conversation class coordinator and students on important notices/reminders via in person announcements, handouts, WhatsApp texts, and emails depending on need.
- Attend SJD staff meetings. Become familiar with SJD structures, organization, staff, and applicable policies, procedures, and requirements as needed for effective implementation of the ESL program and its mission.
- Other duties as assigned by the ESL Director.