SUMMARY: This position provides professional nursing care to patients; assists the physician with patient care. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the care rendered to patients with routine, urgent or potential health problems.
Desired Candidate Would Possess:
- Excellent customer service, organizational, and telephone skills
- Previous experience 1 or more years in a clinic setting.
- Able to room patient, prep patients for surgery, assist physician with surgery and other procedures, fill out forms for biopsy, inform patients of biopsy results, draw up and administer injectable mediations used in surgery or in office, explain procedure and obtain consent for procedures, perform wound dressing, explain post op instructions, clean/package/sterilize instruments, schedule patients for other appointments/procedures, obtain referrals, provide medication administration and other duties as assigned.
- Ideal candidate would have high attention to small details, good initiative, and be able to anticipate physicians needs
- Ability to multi-task and function effectively in a busy clinic as well as a Surgical environment
- Must be dependable, energetic, detail-oriented, and have a strong work ethic
- Strong computer skills and EMR experience (preferred)
- Follows all attendance policies, exhibits and has a history of regular attendance
- Enjoy building long-term relationships with patients
Primary job duties: Preparing exam/procedure rooms (cleaning, stocking, set up for procedure), triage patients, update/load medications and allergies, suture and staple removal, drawing medication, educate patients on wound care and bandaging, documentation of path requisitions, patient phone calls, contacting patients with path results, instrument cleaning, autoclave weekly/monthly maintenance. Rotate stock, remove expired stock, ensure linens are prepared and stored correctly, order supplies needed, ensure documents sent to scanning and Mohs worksheets and path requisitions are completed.
Secondary job duties: Trained to assist back office staff if short staffed, other duties as assigned by supervisor.
General RN Job Description
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure patient safety
- Assists physicians and ensure maximum efficiency; set up for procedures and examinations; obtain lab test and other reports for physician review.
- Triage patients to ensure productive departmental flow.
- Prepare patients for exams and procedures.
- Administer medications as appropriate; document in patient’s chart.
- Ensure that patient chart entries are made accurately and in a timely manner; forward chart as appropriate.
- Contact pharmacy to order or refill prescriptions as instructed by physician, document appropriately.
- Tracking of all diagnostic studies to ensure results received and patient informed of results
- Tracking of all initial specialist office visit appointments to ensure patient keeps appointment
- Obtain (in advance) pre-certifications, PA’s and referrals when mandated by insurance company
- Maintain adequate stock levels of medications and supplies.
- Set up and stock exam rooms for daily use; keep rooms and equipment clean between procedures; keep cleaning schedules up to date
- Follow clinic policies for infection control in handling and disposing of infectious/hazardous waste materials.
- Keep physician informed of patient’s status and any pending test results
- Obtain vital signs, ascertain the seriousness of the patient’s complaint and begin appropriate measures.
- Administer medications—IM, SQ and intradermal injections
- Administer O2 when ordered by a physician
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of cardiac monitoring and lead placement.
- Adhere to Quality Control Guidelines; monitoring medication refrigerator temperature, eye wash checklist, O2 checklist, AED checklist and autoclave checklist.
- Adhere to Customer Service Standards
- Knowledge of sterile techniques and sterilization process
- Perform other tasks as needed, in assistance of physician
- Must have predictable and consistent attendance
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Record health history of patients; note abnormal conditions for physician
- Notify hospital or skilled nursing facility personnel of physician orders
- Collect, label and document lab specimens as needed
- Complete charts and charge tickets; review and verify codes for physician charges
- Knowledge of administering IV solutions
- Care for wounds; assist with suturing; apply sterile dressings
- Schedule patients with physician and other specialty physicians
- Demonstrate knowledge of Occupational Medicine procedures including pre-employment physical exams, appropriate lab testing and treatment of work related injuries; knowledge of appropriate referral process
- Provide discharge instructions and reinforce physician’s instructions
- Prepare patient for procedures and obtain necessary consent forms
- Collect, label, document and track lab/ biopsy specimens
- Contact patient of test results, schedule surgery and referrals as required
- Knowledge of surgical instruments sorting/ cleaning /sterilization
- Accuracy in labeling and photo of patient skin conditions and download to EMR
- Knowledge of phototherapy booth/treatment/ log protocol as necessary
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.