The BOLD & GOLD program at Camp Cherokee is seeking two highly qualified Lead Instructors – one for Boys Outdoor Leadership Development (BOLD) and one for Girls Outdoor Leadership Development (GOLD).
Camp Cherokee BOLD & GOLD is primarily single gender YMCA programs dedicated to inspiring courage and leadership in diverse groups of adolescent girls and boys through wilderness tripping. Summer of 2021 Camp Cherokee will run 6 weeks of programming – 3 weeks of BOLD and 3 weeks of GOLD. Activities may include backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking, whitewater rafting, fishing, yoga, art, backcountry cooking and having fun. Our goal is to increase confidence, courage, emotional intelligence, wonder, and community awareness in participants. Understanding more about what it means to be a young woman or man in today’s society informs how we view the world. We believe these traits are the foundations of leadership and work to inspire participants to develop their own leadership style. We prepare young people (ages 11-18) to be the next generation of leaders through multicultural experiential education in the natural world. Find out more at www.ymcacampcherokee.org. All programs will be based out of Blacksburg, SC.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Oversee the safe delivery of wilderness courses 7 days in length
- Work with the course instructors and program director to ensure staff have all equipment, tools and knowledge needed to be successful
- Train and mentor staff in how to: build emotionally and physically safe environments with groups of middle and high school participants and how to help students build emotional intelligence and multicultural leadership skills through wilderness experience
- Aid in the logistics of course prep; food preparation and organization, fixing/maintaining gear, etc.
- Be part of a leadership team that oversees the professional development of BOLD and GOLD staff
- Support Traditional Camp staff on a day-to-day basis, including but not limited to: high adventure classes, evening activities, and meals
- Aid in the delivery of wilderness based courses with a focus on multi-cultural leadership