SUMMARY: The Retail Strategic Account Manager is responsible for establishing True Organic Retail Products, as the premier organic fertilizer manufacturer in the consumer lawn and garden industry. Responsible for research, development and building of a firm customer base from existing and potential customers in the United States, predominantly in the Western U.S.; while promoting True Organic Products, Inc. retail products, and to achieve sales budgets and goals that will add to the growth and profitability of True Organic Products, Inc. retail division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following as well as other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned.
- Maximize accounts in the U.S., maximize sales, profitability, penetration, and customer satisfaction in the promotion of True Organic Retail Products.
- Complies with the code of conduct and standards set forth in the TOP Employee Handbook.
- Maintains compliance with state and Federal Employment Laws, Regulations and Court Rulings.
- Identifies and responds actively to the needs of all customers; participates as a team player in all phases of the organization; and is open and responsive to change.
- Maximizes the amount of sales for existing and new market areas. This requires developing relationships with existing and potential customers through making personal and telephone contact, set up sales calls, answering questions, solving problems, and suggesting additional products or product enhancements.
- Increase the potential for sales. Research potential new geographic and untapped customer markets, making exploratory contacts. Identifies potential customers through contacts developed by association with existing customers, trade organizations, publications, and trade shows. Ensuring follow-up and securing initial orders.
- Personally provide customers with knowledgeable, courteous, and prompt service at all times. Ensure customers are satisfied with all products provided both before and after an order is placed. Provides competitive pricing, coordinates shipping, handles change orders, resolves problems, and ensures the customer has the proper quantity and types of material.
- Researches and provides accurate information to customers regarding proper materials and prices as well as technical information regarding application and specifications. Stay informed regarding product enhancements and applications, staying current on customers changing needs as well as up selling customers when appropriate.
- Presents accurate sales proposals and quotes to prospective customers. Services existing accounts.
- Initiates inquiries with customers on current and anticipated product needs.
- Compiles lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from newspapers, business directories, trade journals, and other sources.
- Prepares reports of business transactions, potential markets, and customers, and keeps expense accounts.
- Develops market information to assist with pricing strategy and budgeting.
- Processes orders, schedules deliveries and any pricing list updates. Coordinates all paper flow with back-up personnel.
- Solicits new business, showing concern for credit worthiness and potential profitability, while maintaining existing account base. Organizes time and develops methods to contact each account monthly.
- Attends activities, trade shows and functions as a representative of True Organic Products Inc. to advance new, prospective, and existing customer relations.
- Develops process to track progress of customer's product needs.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and values at all times by holding self accountable for applying these principles daily and personally living them when working with customers, employees, suppliers, and others.
- Establishes and maintains effective channels of communication with co-workers, management, customers, vendors and all other business contacts.
- Uses equipment and materials in a safe and acceptable manner, follows established safety procedures, uses appropriate safeguards and observes common sense rules of safety in all on-the-job activities.
- Conducts self in manner reflecting credit on True Organic Products, Inc. and encourages others to do the same.
GENERAL JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
Employees must meet the following general job performance standards:
Knowledge Of Work – Posses and utilizes knowledge of the job which is essential to perform the specific functions and related work.
Quantity Of Work – Accomplishes an appropriate volume of satisfactory work under normal conditions. Ability to produce results.
Quality Of Work – Consistently demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, neatness and dependability to produce work within acceptable standards.
Timeliness – Completes assignments on or ahead of schedule.
Ability To Learn New Duties – Interprets, learns and responds to instructions for new situations, procedures or methods.
Teamwork – Places goals of True Organic Products, Inc. foremost when interacting with others at all levels. Builds an environment that fosters teamwork and enhanced task accomplishment through positive and supportive cooperation.
Communications – Demonstrates relevance and clarity of written and oral expression. Expresses ideas clearly and demonstrates effective listening skills. Effective in exchanging ideas and information. Applies to communications with both co-workers and customers.
Job Commitment – Shows initiative in willingly accepting responsibility. Performs expected and unexpected tasks, demonstrates tenacity in completing tasks. Willingly exerts extra effort when necessary to get the job done without being directed to do so.
Decision Making & Judgment – Gathers relevant data, sets clear objectives, evaluates alternatives, makes timely decisions and commits to courses of action. Uses sound judgment: does not act impulsively in reaching decisions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BS in Agriculture, business, sales, and marketing preferred; AA in general education required and/or a combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years selling retail consumer products experience preferred. Knowledge of turf and ornamental, organic products, irrigation, turf and ornamental growing techniques, and/or sales and marketing.
- Ability to travel at least two to three weeks per month to build relationships with existing and prospective customers.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common industry and technical journals. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information in small or large groups to senior management, and clients.
Basic math, ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Ability to define problems; collects data; establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of agricultural information and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be well organized, a self-starter, and possess excellent telephone communication skills.
- Must possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess exception interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Must be even-tempered and team spirited - a good sense of humor is desirable.
- Must be computer literate and have experience with PC based computers.
- Must be able to make sound independent decisions based on available data.
- Must be able to work with a variety of personalities in an effective manner.
- Must possess a valid class Driver’s License w/minimal points.
- Knowledge of OSHA and Department of Agriculture regulations.
WORKING CONDITIONS: working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Variations in conditions may occur under certain circumstances.
- This job is performed indoors approximately 40% of the time and outdoors approximately 60% of the time with relative control of daily exposure to the elements.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee sometimes works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to the risk of chemicals, dust/dirt.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The temperature of the work environment is moderate indoors, and ranges from 50 – 100 degrees outdoors.
- Seldom (0 –5%): smell, crawl, kneel, and reach above shoulders.
- Occasionally (6-33%): squat, bend, twist, climb, balance, and lift (up to 100 lbs).
- Frequently (34-66%): sit, reach with hands and arms, push, pull, stand, walk, grasp with hands and fingers, and drive.
- Continuously (67-100%): use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; see (including close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus); hear and speak; key (i.e., computer, calculator, telephone); and lift (up to 50 lbs).
MACHINES, TOOL AND EQUIPMENT:
- Frequently (34-66%): copier fax, automobile
- Continuously (67-100%): computer, 10-key calculator, writing instrument, telephone, radio,
- The territory will include the United States, with primary territory the Western U.S. The job requires frequent travel approximately 60% - 70% of time including some weekends to meet with customers. This job requires occasional travel to meetings, conferences, or training using automobile, air or other means.