The Special Assistant to the CEO enhances the CEOs leadership by assuming responsibility for research and preparation of correspondence, presentations, talking points, and other communications from or to the CEOs office, thereby creating capacity for the CEO to focus on more strategic priorities. As Special Assistant the incumbent will attend meetings with the CEO/Medical Director, members and partners, track and follow up action items, and drafting or coordinating accurate and timely responses from the CEOs Office to all internal and external constituencies. You may be asked to make sensitive and critical judgement calls when representing the CEOs office. The ideal candidate is a highly ambitious, self-starter who is eager to learn and to develop future opportunities and who can work closely with other CEO team members to ensure the office runs seamlessly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the CEO/Medical Directors workflow and priorities by anticipating activities and responsibilities related to the APA and external organizations through the CEO/Medical Directors Office.
- Manages the CEO/Medical Directors heavy volume of messages with urgency and sensitivity. Coordinates with the appropriate person for follow-up or when appropriate drafts responses for CEOs review. Ensures urgent issues are brought to the CEOs attention, even on weekends.
- Takes special care to learn the CEOs writing style in order to draft responses, presentations, correspondence and talking points that reflect the CEOs personality.
- Collaborates with Executive Assistant to the CEO to ensure scheduling of important events at appropriate times.
- Prepares the CEO/Medical Director for, and follows up on, internal and external meetings.
- Drafts and fine tunes presentations and talking points for CEO/Medical Director working with the Chief of Communications/speech writing staff, and other staff as needed.
- Works closely with APA staff to ensure timely provision of back-up and informational materials and reports relevant to CEO/Medical Directors meetings at least 2 weeks before the meeting.
- Supports the CEO/Medical Director, Chief of Staff and Chief of Membership and Strategy on time sensitive follow up items from APA meetings.
- Attend meetings as needed, tracking action items from meetings, ensuring the CEO stays on schedule and handling unexpected situations.
- Provides members of the Senior Leadership Team leverage in moving projects forward by assisting with information gathering, communicating with different parties, tracking progress, and seeing projects through completion.
- Stays abreast of issues important to APA and ensures the CEO/Medical Director is alerted to updates and/or news updates, even on weekends.
- Creates and maintains status reports for the CEO/Medical Director and Senior Leadership Team on designated projects in coordination with the Chief of Staff and follows through on issues in a timely manner.
- Provides staffing for, and analysis of, activities to support priority projects and programs, as needed.
- Works closely with the APA Senior Leadership team and counterparts of external organizations in which the CEO/Medical Director represents the Association to coordinate attendance at meetings, speeches, and other activities.
- Gains an understanding of the issues and activities of the CEO and the CEO office to properly triage calls and written communication, including e-mails and correspondence, to/from members for CEO/Medical Director and the Chief of Staff and Senior Executive Assistant.
- Actively builds relationships with APA staff members within and outside of the CEO office to create positive relationships on various levels of the organization.
- Monitors and ensures timely responses on the medical specialty CEO list serve. Alerts CEO to such inquiries and responses.
- Maintains Medical Director Office Items Tracker to ensure all items are tracked and completed. Ensures all files for the CEO office are organized and up-to-date.
- Performs other duties as assigned.