Reed Construction is a fifth-generation, family-owned General Contractor with over 125 years of experience in the construction industry. Reed is well-known for its unmatched level of reliability, attention to detail, and customer experience. We are looking for a dynamic General Superintendent with inherent leadership abilities to lead our Field Operations Team. The perfect candidate enjoys collaborating, building great projects, and ultimately delivering an exceptional project experience both internally and externally.
With an illustrious list of clients, Reed services a wide range of markets including, but not limited to Corporate Interiors, Healthcare and Cannabis. As the General Superintendent, this individual will oversee all phases of construction from initial planning to completion. This individual is also responsible for all field personnel, acting as leader, mentor, and coach, always acting with Reed’s Core Values in mind.
The ideal candidate will work closely with our field and project management teams to ensure that work is delivered on-time, within budget, and to the highest degree of quality that Reed Construction is known for. This person will demonstrate strong leadership abilities and drive the project team to deliver an enjoyable and extraordinary project experience.
- Holds field personnel accountable for all work performed while serving as a mentor and leader.
- Manages Superintendents and provides support during project planning, coordination, and site utilization
- Displays a thorough understanding of project specifications, contract documents, potential code violations, and inspections
- Exhibits an in-depth understanding of construction documents such as schedules, drawings, submittals and can identify potential issues with appropriate solutions
- Champions field safety standards to ensure compliance with company policies and OSHA standards
- Perform project site visits to ensure safety, quality control standards, and schedules are being executed in accordance with field processes
- Proactively collaborates with field and project management teams to resolve significant project issues effectively
- Collaborates with project teams during project kick-off meetings to strategize on various project topics such as pre-mobilization activities, logistics, layout, equipment, and labor utilization
- Collaborates with project management teams to determine appropriate project staffing for optimal project execution
- Communicates issues, performance, and project progress to Project Executives regularly
- Develops high-performance teams through leadership, training, team building, and coaching
- Maintains and builds exceptional relationships and communication internally with project teams and externally through client interactions
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, related field or equivalent work experience preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience as a General Superintendent for a General Contractor
- At least 10+ years of experience as the lead project Superintendent in a variety of project sizes ranging from $500K to $50M+ with varying scopes and complexities
- Diverse construction background including experience with Healthcare, Corporate Interiors, and Ground Up projects
- Travel is required. Must be able to travel outside of Chicagoland area and or out-of-state in order to execute certain responsibilities
- OSHA 30 Hour and First Aid/CPR certification is a plus
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work, and project schedules
- Technology savvy with regards to construction-related technologies
- Excellent communications skills and is able to work well with a wide range of personalities
- Ability to effectively lead a project team and work toward multiple deadlines at once
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative, and the ability to quickly study and react to complex issues, and resolve conflict effectively in a firm but fair manner
- Goal-oriented – ability to problem solve, react quickly to changing circumstances and still achieve the desired results
- Organized with excellent verbal and written communication skills with keen attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties or responsibilities required of this position.
Reed Construction is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.