Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019. His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
SALARY: 68,000/YR Minimum
STATEMENT OF JOB:
An integral position of Alley Theatre, the Director of Sales and Ticketing Services is responsible for creating seamless audience experiences with single ticket sales, subscription sales, and coordination with front of house. Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, this role will focus on ensuring a top-level audience experience for guests of the Theatre, analyzing and reporting on sales, managing ticket inventory, maximizing earned revenue, and training and managing consistency of Box Office Staff. The position will work across departments to optimize Tessitura (and enact best practices). Overseeing box office operations, this role directly manages the Subscription Manager and Guest Services Manager.
- Assure that the highest quality of customer service is being provided by the Guest Services Team.
- Manage the building of ticketed events and packages in the Tessitura ticket system.
- Takes initiative with other departments to craft experience-specific language over the phones and in-person to patrons
- Utilize Revenue Management Application (RMA) and Tessitura Analytics for detailed reporting on inventory, holds and revenue by zone, ticket distribution statistics, etc.
- Analyze trends, report and recommend sales strategies to maximize revenue.
- Create and maintain all held and allocated ticket inventory, serving as the primary liaison between Box Office and all other departments (Finance, Marketing, Devo, SD&A, etc.)
- Manage ticket inventory to maximize revenue and capacity; manage partnerships with external vendors when needed.
- Create, maintain and distribute all daily box office sales information, including sales, holds, revenues, performance against budget, etc. Provide final revenue on a production level information to Finance.
- Proactively maximize the value and ensure the quality of data introduced into Tessitura.
- Develop and promote policies and procedures which generate and encourage audience loyalty.
- Maintain customer communications tools as it pertains to the phone system; advise on customer communications as they pertain to website, email, social, and other digital channels.
- Develop and implement incentive programs for upselling, add-ons, and tax-deductible donations.
- Work with the Marketing department to develop reporting and execute analyses of marketing and sales data.
- Perform or manage other event related administrative duties and tasks as assigned.
- Attends Marketing, Tessitura, and Revenue Meetings.
- Manage Guest Services Manager and Subscriptions Services Manager as well as two FT Lead Guest Services Associates and PT Guest Services Associates.
- Oversee recruitment and training of full- and part-time Box Office associates, including training in best practices in customer service and CRM optimization.
- Manages hiring, training, discipline, termination (as needed), and ongoing cross-training with departments as needed.
- Motivating and coaching employees to improve performance, provide feedback, and training opportunities.
- Organizes and oversees the schedules and work of departmental staff.
- Conducts or assists with performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Ensuring staff members follow company policies and procedures.
- Oversee all accounting and financial operations of box office including development of annual department budget, payroll, deposits, record keeping, invoicing, and reporting functions.
- Leads and plans a regularly scheduled Guest Services meeting with BO and FOH management.