Amnesty International USA (AIUSA) is seeking a Full-Time Mid-West Organizing Fellow (10 Month term) to join our Campaigns and Membership team. This position is based at our Chicago, IL office.
What you’ll find at Amnesty International USA:
-Vision for change: Amnesty International is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. The organization investigates and exposes abuses, educates and mobilizes the public, and works to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth and dignity are denied. As the United States section of our global movement, we engage people in the U.S. to fight injustice all around the world, while we also work to protect people’s human rights here in the U.S. Whether speaking out for refugees and against oppression abroad, or calling for an end to gun violence and the unlawful use of lethal force by police, Amnesty International and its membership shines a light on violations and offers ways to help.
-How we work: Amnesty International’s uniquely effective approach for protecting human rights uses a three-pronged approach that focuses on research from experts in crisis zones and areas were human violations are taking place; mobilization of activists, members, and others who care about human rights; and advocacy to pass and preserve laws that protect human rights. We foster a collaborative environment in which we work with colleagues across functions and locations, and partner with our dedicated volunteer members to maximize our impact.
-Care for our staff: One of the ways we value the wellbeing of our staff is through our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer to eligible employees. Our benefits package includes comprehensive health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match up to 5%, and generous paid time off. We are also committed to our team’s learning and growth, and offer various professional development and advancement opportunities.
- Commitment to diversity & inclusion: At Amnesty International USA, we deeply value inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in our human rights work and our workplace culture and practices. We recognize that this is not only necessary to ensure that our rich diversity of staff and members can thrive, but that we can simply not accomplish our mission without it. We have a comprehensive strategy and take shared responsibility for fostering an inclusive environment for all.
What the Mid-West Organizing Fellow does: The Mid-West Organizing Fellow is responsible for supporting membership engagement in Amnesty International USA and will work to recruit new supporters with a strong focus on youth and student group development. The Organizing Fellow will support leadership development and advocacy engagement that will help to advance AIUSA’s human rights goals around membership growth and increasing our human rights impact.
- Cultivate and foster relationships with youth/student/community groups
- Provide coaching and material support to volunteer leaders
- Engage, catalyze and mobilize a grassroots activist base
- Provide event planning support for small and large scale events and actions
- Support recruitment strategy for AI’s Regional Conference, Annual General Meeting, and other initiatives
- Track and report data on group activities
- Help advance growth and advocacy goals outlined by AIUSA’s Organizing & Activism Unit
- Conduct visits to schools and other community settings to engage people in human rights concerns and activism
- Participates in shared responsibility and collaboration with volunteer leaders
- Other duties as assigned