Amnesty International USA (AIUSA) is seeking a Full-Time Senior Director, Learning and Development to join our Inclusion & Strategic Innovation team. This position is based at our Washington D.C. location.
What you’ll find at Amnesty International USA:
-Vision for change: Amnesty International is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. The organization investigates and exposes abuses, educates and mobilizes the public, and works to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth and dignity are denied. As the United States section of our global movement, we engage people in the U.S. to fight injustice all around the world, while we also work to protect people’s human rights here in the U.S. Whether speaking out for refugees and against oppression abroad, or calling for an end to gun violence and the unlawful use of lethal force by police, Amnesty International and its membership shines a light on violations and offers ways to help.
-How we work: Amnesty International’s uniquely effective approach for protecting human rights uses a three-pronged approach that focuses on research from experts in crisis zones and areas were human violations are taking place; mobilization of activists, members, and others who care about human rights; and advocacy to pass and preserve laws that protect human rights. We foster a collaborative environment in which we work with colleagues across functions and locations, and partner with our dedicated volunteer members to maximize our impact.
-Care for our staff: One of the ways we value the wellbeing of our staff is through our competitive compensation and benefits package we offer to eligible employees. Our benefits package includes comprehensive health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match up to 5%, and generous paid time off. We are also committed to our team’s learning and growth, and offer various professional development and advancement opportunities.
- Commitment to diversity & inclusion: At Amnesty International USA, we deeply value inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in our human rights work and our workplace culture and practices. We recognize that this is not only necessary to ensure that our rich diversity of staff and members can thrive, but that we can simply not accomplish our mission without it. We have a comprehensive strategy and take shared responsibility for fostering an inclusive environment for all.
What the Senior Director, Learning and Development does: The Learning & Development (L&D) Director is a member of the Inclusion & Strategic Innovation (“ISI”) team and reports to the Chief Inclusion & Strategic Innovation Officer. This position leads the development and implementation of a L&D strategy that includes training and professional development for staff and volunteers, human rights education and other programs across the organization in order to maximize our collective human rights impact. The L&D Director will also be heavily involved in a wide range of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA) initiatives that include, but are not limited to, IDEA-related trainings, resources and coaching. This is an exciting position in a newly formed department, requiring a versatile and entrepreneurial mindset and a collaborative approach.
The Learning & Development Director is responsible for creating a holistic L&D approach with programming that meets the unique needs of various stakeholders while also finding areas of overlap and synergy among them. This will require deep collaboration with both members and staff on identifying needs and determining solutions, with key partnerships in IDEA, Human Resources, Organizational Effectiveness, Member Leadership & Training, and Organizing & Activism. The L&D Director will engage in ongoing needs-assessment and evaluation, and build values-based competency models and associated development and performance management initiatives. They will design, develop, and deliver engaging, accessible, and effective curricula in both in-person and virtual learning environments, and establish and maintain learning management systems and processes. The person in this role is an exceptional facilitator, master trainer, and coach to other trainers and leaders. The L&D Director also serves as a key partner to the Chief Inclusion & Strategic Innovation Officer in further developing and implementing the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA) strategy. This includes a host of IDEA L&D activities as well as a number of other initiatives, including coaching staff and leaders, supporting culture change efforts, and developing new systems and processes.
- Partner with Human Resources, IDEA, Organizational Effectiveness, Member Leadership & Training, and Organizing & Activism on developing and implementing comprehensive learning programs for and with staff and volunteers
- Facilitation and instructional design for in-person and virtual initiatives, including train-the trainers and developing facilitation and instructional design skills in others
- Build new systems, structures, processes and practices, including competency models, performance management, training deployment, knowledge management, and evaluation
- Strategy development and implementation, culture change and leadership development and partnership
- Partner on the development and implementation of the IDEA strategy
- Manage the L&D and IDEA Coordinator and any vendors/external consultants as needed
- Be an active contributor to an inclusive, collaborative and high-performing team