Ministry Mission & Values: The Connect Ministry at SJD was designed to welcome members and guests; offer and encourage engagement by developing relationships and connecting members and guests to a network of faith pathways. The Connect Ministry is the front door to St. John the Divine and strives to create a thriving environment that helps people take faith steps 24/7 by connecting people to Christ and other Christians. This ministry covers all connections and works with all ministries within the church. This ministry's goal is to welcome, inform, and serve existing members and new visitors. It covers the following areas: Ambassadors, follow-up, resources for new believers, information on baptism, connection to Life Groups, receptions & events, and volunteering opportunities. This ministry values growing in our relationship with Christ and connections with each other.
Principal Functions: The role of the Connections Coordinator is to work with the Connect Ministry team to facilitate the member connection and growth strategy of St. John the Divine under the direction and leadership of the Director of Membership. This will require a firm grasp of the beliefs, values, and current strategies of St. John the Divine. The ability to communicate with ministry team, other staff members, key leadership teams, and the church at large will also be a large part of the job description and requirements. The CC will assist guests and members (both in-person and virtually) in developing a genuine sense of belonging, involvement and spiritual growth at SJD by meeting people where they are and leading them to the next steps in discipleship and church community involvement. The CC will facilitate genuine relational connections through being available Sunday mornings for guest & members, assisting in the formation of virtual and in-person small groups, volunteer service teams, and special Connect Ministry events.
Due to pandemic restrictions and limitations, this position will also provide support to our online church community by creating genuine connections to foster continued engagement online.
This is a full-time, position scheduled to work 40 hours a week. Regular workday includes Sunday. Other days and hours of work will generally be determined by the current needs and demands of the Church. Occasional evenings or Saturdays are possible.
Responsible to: Director of Membership
Qualifications for the Position:
- An attitude of servant leadership.
- Relates well to all kinds of people to build and foster effective relationships.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated high level of service and response.
- Proven ability to be adaptable to competing demands.
- Ability to be flexible and supportive where needed.
- Knowledge of Episcopal liturgy and services.
- Ability to communicate vision and strategy that motivates others to action.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- Experience (paid and/or volunteer) in volunteer development in a Church or non-profit setting highly desired.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Technologically savvy and experienced with a variety of software programs, willing to learn new systems as needed.
- Commitment to support the mission of The Church of St. John the Divine and the Episcopal Church.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Director of Membership to create connection opportunities for on campus and online communities, encourage member engagement and build virtual opportunities.
- Develop and encourage volunteer opportunities.
- Collaborate with Director of Membership to develop Fellowship and Life Groups and work with Ministries to attract and motivate engagement.
- Work with existing leadership to construct practical steps and process for church members into classes and groups.
- Track membership engagement in church database.
- Develop connections to volunteer teams by using God-given talents and maintain database of spiritual gifts survey.
- Coordinate with ministries to update and maintain lists of volunteer needs and current volunteers for all parish ministries.
- Regular communication with volunteer corps to keep them engaged and informed about volunteer opportunities and changes.
- Coordinate and schedule on campus programs to showcase internal ministry groups.
- Process electronic and hard copy volunteer applications by making initial contact with the applicant and updating the database accordingly.
- Assist the Connect Ministry team with all aspects of internal volunteer recruiting, develop pathways to encourage engagement, and coordinate special events/ projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Membership.