Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Guest Services Associate to join the Emergency Shelters team in Kent, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Guest Services Associate works with a dedicated staff to help create a safe, welcoming, and healing environment for woman and children at KentHOPE. This position is a part of a 24-hour team to provide information, referral, and support services to KentHOPE guests. Responsible for providing leadership for the guests, overseeing volunteers, maintaining facility safety and cleanliness. KentHOPE operated a day center for women and children and a rotating overnight shelter for single, adult women.
Our Emergency Shelters team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Saturdays, 3:00 - 9:00 plus shifts offered on an as-needed basis. On call overnight shifts will be at rotating locations in Kent from 8:30 pm - 6:30 am.
Essential Job Duties
- Help maintain a positive, pleasant and Christian atmosphere
- Provide daily, positive interaction and guidance to guests. Assist with housing, employment, child care searches, goal setting and connect guests to other services providers through weekly check-ins and by providing pertinent resources
- Oversee safety and cleanliness of facility on shift, including chore supervision. Perform janitorial and maintenance duties as needed.
- Uphold the guidelines of UGM Emergency Shelters to maintain a safe, healing environment - enforcing consequences, writing contracts, and holding guests accountable when necessary.
- Complete all aspects of the guest intake process: phone screen, determine eligibility, new guest orientation and instruction, and assignment of bed and storage spaces. Provide other resources as needed.
- Daily compile a thorough record of the events on your shift in staff log, maintain updated records in Client Track and communicate with other staff via email and Client Track.
- Monitor incoming persons, assisting and directing visitors and guests.
- Coordinate, train and supervise volunteers in conjunction with the volunteer department. Assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteer serve. Interact positively and cooperatively with volunteers.
- Complete data entry, documents, and assist with administrative tasks as assigned by your Supervisor.
- Keep donations organized and put away, assist in distribution of clothing and hygiene items to guests.
- Help coordinate and facilitate community meeting as needed and directed by supervisor
- Assist with event preparation and coordination (including holidays, community events, and guest outings)
- Assist with meal preparation as needed
- Respond to emergency situations promptly, in a calm and capable manner. De-escalate guests during tense situations as needed.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and trainings, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor and WCM Leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle's Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Missions Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle's Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills, including excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to work in cooperation with other Mission staff and partner organizations.
- Ability to follow through on projects and tasks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel Required)
- Ability to be proactive in recognizing problems and present appropriate solutions.
- Ability to have difficult conversations regarding guidelines and rules.
- Ability to de-escalate guests.
- Ability to maintain a positive and friendly personality and excellent customer service toward guests, visitors, volunteers and staff in all situations