Responsible for various aspects of food handling and preparation. The Lead cook is the person in charge of other cooks working in the same place. Adhere to sanitation practices. Responsible for the day to day operation of the working kitchen and his respective work station. Must have excellent interpersonal skills to work on a team and good leadership skills to work as a lead.
60% COOKING/PREP: Details vary depending on station/area assigned:
- Responsibilities include creating dishes, supervising the preparation, flavoring and cooking processes such as respect of recipes, organization and cleanliness of all working stations.
- Direct, coordinates and delegates responsibilities to kitchen staff to ensure goal and objectives of the kitchen are met on a daily basis.
- Responsible for the entire set-up and mise en place for respective station(s). Responsible for ensuring the freshness and the quality of all food products. Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and employees engaged in food preparation.
- Must be proficient at all workstations, including Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Pool, and Banquets. Must be available to work any station as business levels require.
- Responsible for the freshness and quality of all food products on the line, including proper rotation of all food items in workstation mise en place and kitchen. Must have knowledge of degrees of doneness of meats.
- Expedite service period as needed to ensure smooth and seamless operation between all work stations, server pickup and ultimate guest delivery. Responsible of kitchen staff to maintain ticket times based on Management expectations. Checks Final product before it is delivered to the customer to ensure proper preparation, plating and presentation
- Maintain a workstation that is neat, safe and clean by utilizing proper handling and storage procedures of station mise en place. Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Assist in banquet preparation and pickups when requested by Supervisor/Manager.
- Produce the finest quality product on a consistent basis
- Knows all menu items from respective areas and its ingredients
- Report any unsafe working/food safety conditions to Culinary Management as well as Engineering team as needed to bring said conditions under control.
- Inspect all refrigerators and freezers on a daily basis to ensure the respect of Food Safety and health department standards. These can include, but are not limited to expired product, time-temperature abuse, improper label/dating/wrapping of products.
- Must attend to lead cook meetings to ensure communication between management and employees
- Communicate to Supervisor/Manager any potential problems or concerns in order to rectify the problem in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for communicating with co-workers and supervisors on each shift of any problems or concerns.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, staff may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the Resort. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the Resort:
- Consult with supervisor on a daily basis, included checking in and out with other departments that are directly related to the Culinary and Food & Beverage departments.
- Being active, such as playing a mentor role to provide the best training, provide expectations and ongoing support and assistance for new hires.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Received: Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine, Sous Chefs