WNPA is a nonprofit education partner of the National Park Service. WNPA supports parks across the West, developing products, services, and programs that enhance the visitor experience, understanding, and appreciation of national parks. Learn more at www.wnpa.org.
The Assistant Park Store Manager works under the direction of the Parks Store Manager to supervise the Western National Parks Association (WNPA) Park store operations at assigned park store location(s). In conjunction with the National Park Service (NPS), the Assistant Park Store Manager will be responsible for supporting the business planning and financial growth of store operations including associated marketing activities. The Assistant Park Store Manager will assist in supervising all paid and volunteer WNPA staff members.
This role is responsible for supporting and assisting in completing the following tasks and any related tasks as assigned:
- Implementing an innovative approach that emphasizes visitor education through the traditional retail experience.
- Creating and maintaining positive, productive relationship with NPS and other partners.
- Attending NPS staff meetings.
- Collaborating with NPS and WNPA Home Office staff to develop an educational product mix that engages visitors.
- Achieving business goals.
- Organizing and/or managing special events, in collaboration with the National Park Service (NPS).
- All aspects of day-to-day store operations, including reporting.
- Become an expert in the educational value of store inventory and be able to communicate the significance to store visitors.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
This role must possess knowledge of, skill in, and/or ability in the following:
- Applicable Federal and state laws, and professional business standards.
- Conducting employee and volunteer training.
- Customer service.
- Conducting periodic physical inventory to ensure accurate reporting.
- Point of Sales systems.
- Effectively displaying and merchandising product.
- Planning, organization, analyzation, problem solving, multitasking, and communication.
- Diplomatic and effective communication, verbally and in writing, with internal employees as well as WNPA’s board of directors, visitors, members, donors, volunteers, and members of the public.
- Interpreting instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or other format.
- Making independent judgments and maintain attention throughout performance of duties.
- Working alone and with a team.
- Computer programs including Internet, databases, and Microsoft Office suite (primarily Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and SharePoint).
- Equipment including computers, printers, calculators, multi-line touch tone phones, filing cabinets, photocopiers, and dollies.
This role must be able to meet the following physical demands with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Primarily perform work indoors, where temperature is moderate and controlled by office environmental systems. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet, but may become loud during times of high customer volume or special events. Occasional work may be performed outside under natural conditions. Environment will vary when outside work or travel is required.
- Stand and walk for up to 8 hours per day. Desk time is occasionally required. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Make repetitive motions, especially of the hands and wrist (grasp, pinch, type, write) and legs and back (stand, sit, walk, bend, kneel, crouch).
- Regularly climb and balance to hang merchandise and retrieve product.
- Communicate effectively (talk, listen and hear, see both near and far with accurate depth and color perception).
- Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally push and/or pull up to 50 pounds a distance of about 25 feet.
Occasional travel may be required to various local events or speaking engagements. Occasional overnight trips may be required. Additionally, may be required to use personal or company vehicles.