POSITION: Front of House Performance Manager
DEPARTMENT: Marketing/Front of House
CLASSIFICATION: Part time
SUPERVISOR: Director of Front of House
HOURLY RATE: $11.50-$13.50
Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019. His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
The FOH Performance Manager (Manager) supervises ushers and directs housekeeping, engineering, security, and valet requests from guests. Manager is responsible for patron evacuation in an emergency. Position scheduling is determined by performance schedule of the Alley Theatre. Shifts range from four to six hours; applicants must be available nights and weekends. Manager reports to the FOH Director and apprises Director of developments in customer service on a per performance basis.
Performance House Manager
- Coordinates performance starts with the stage manager and the box office to ensure punctual start times
- Provides care of and assists guests during shows
- Guest advocate with Housekeeping, Concessions, Engineering and Valet
- Directs the Security Guard’s location and route
- Acts as Manager on Duty for shows – must be able to make rapid decisions and be an active problem-solver
- Directs the Lobby Supervisor to perform guest assistance and to maintain structural decorum of the theatre’s lobby and other public areas
- Writes and distributes Performance House Reports
- Responsible for recharging of walkies, scanners, and ALDs after each performance
- Prepares Incident Reports and follow up documentation
- Keeps Director of Front of House apprised of developments in guest service on a daily basis