Marrone Bio Innovations is seeking a highly motivated, ambitious Senior Research Scientist in the field of natural product chemistry. The successful candidate will develop tools and methods to isolate and identify bioactive compounds from plant and microbial sources. The incumbent is expected to have excellent time management skills, with the ability to adapt to rapid changes in project priorities and meet aggressive timelines. The individual should possess strong data analysis and project reporting skills, enjoy working in a team setting and be able to effectively interact with internal scientists and external collaborators.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Participate in the development of processes for the isolation, separation, and purification of targeted compounds from various microbial and plant sources.
- Exploit in vitro assays to isolate active components.
- Development of a method for scale-up of purification of active compounds in mgs to gm quantities.
- Utilize 1D, 2D NMR, IR, UV and MS spectroscopy to elucidate the chemical structure of the pure compound.
- Develop analytical methods to efficiently optimize pipeline and developing products using HPLC, LCMS & GCMS.
- Optimization and validation of the analytical methods for identified compounds following GLP guidelines.
- Participate in the development of metabolomics platform.
- Prepare laboratory notebooks, technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Maintain personal and shared work areas and equipment in good condition.
- Carry out assigned shared laboratory housekeeping tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other knowledge required:
Experience with relevant separation methods including centrifugation, liquid-liquid, and solid-liquid extractions, fractionation, chromatography (Column chromatography, preparative HPLC).
Strong knowledge of analytical instruments & techniques including chromatographic (LC and GC) in conjunction with spectrometric methods (LC-MS, GC-MS) and spectroscopic methods (LC-NMR).
Mastery of NMR and MS, expert knowledge in applying NMR and MS to determine the structure of natural products.
Strong experience in the field of metabolomics for better understanding of the production of metabolites.
- A Ph. D. degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Analytical Chemistry with at least 2-3 years or M.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Analytical Chemistry with 8+ years comparable experience in natural product chemistry and/or biological analytical chemistry, with knowledge in the isolation and identification of bioactive compounds from natural sources.
Essential Physical and Mental Requirements
Physical Requirements: e.g.,
- Ability to handle various chemical products, some of which have some level of hazard, such as solvents.
- Ability to sit at a desk for extended periods.
- Ability to use extensively the computer keyboard, mouse and monitor.
- Ability to input test result data and write up final reports in a clear, concise manner.
- Ability to lift 30+/- pounds is also required.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in workload priorities, ability to prioritize tasks, ability to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to be highly motivated and self-driven.
Ability to exhibit excellent teamwork, collaboration, and responsiveness to all members within MBI.
Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively to express information in both written and oral context.
Ability to be self-motivated and able to work hard in a fast-paced team environment.
Travel by commercial means, e.g., air, car, train, domestically may be required when necessary to meetings, conferences, etc., 0-10% of the time.
MBI offers a comprehensive benefits package including a 401(k) plan with employer match, and a health plan including medical and dental coverage, life insurance coverage, long term disability, and a flexible spending account for dependent care and/or medical expenses.
The above is a list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position. This list is not all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned. This job description may be modified as needed.
MBI is an equal-opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screen and background check will be required.