Pay Band: 0 Expatriate
The Executive Director is responsible for providing management and leadership to support the effective delivery of all programs that American Councils operates in Tajikistan.
The position oversees all internal operations in the Dushanbe office and provides direction and insight to program leadership responsible for specific programs, maintaining key relationships, actively developing the portfolio and enhancing the impact of programs operating in Tajikistan. Direct delivery of program activity for some programs is involved; rigorous seasonal travel within Tajikistan as well as some regional travel are required. The Executive Director reports to the Regional Director for Central Asia located in Almaty, Kazakhstan and coordinates regularly with Washington and field-based program managers.
Oversight and Leadership:
- Provides overall supervision of American Councils programs in country by supervising locally-based staff members and any sub-recipients, which includes training, guiding and monitoring performance,
- Delivering direct assistance in addressing crisis or emergency situations that may arise and providing assistance as needed with on-program support;
- Advises senior leadership and program managers on the influence of region’s political, economic and cultural conditions, as they may affect the provision of programs and effective approaches in Tajikistan;
- Represents American Councils and programs in the Tajikistan portfolio in individual consultations, public appearances, program orientations for inbound and outbound groups, and in meetings with potential and existing partners;
- Maintains American Councils organizational relations in country with relevant U.S. government offices and institutions (the U.S. embassy/consulate, PAS, USAID, and other U.S. government agencies); with the host country government and private institutions (government ministries, agencies and offices; national corporations; institutional partners); with the in-country offices of international and American organizations and foundations; and with the media; and
- Participates in designing and developing new programs, seeking new funding sources, and contributing to proposals.
- Structures work for a variety of programs operating under different management models in cooperation with program managers;
- Monitors all activities to assure timely and proper conduct of competitions, tracking of all applicant and participant files, and strict adherence of activities to program policies, rules, and guidelines;
- Meets with ministry and U.S. government officials regularly to provide appropriate information and overview of competition processes and alumni activities; keeps them informed appropriately;
- Participates in recruitment, including recruitment travel, presentations, interviews with finalist candidates, testing, correspondence, and meetings with parents, applicants and finalists, and those not selected;
- Oversees and assists in implementing and reporting on activities, including recruitment and follow-on for exchange programs in the U.S., for U.S. visitors on programs in Tajikistan, and for local programs delivered in Tajikistan for citizens of Tajikistan;
- Coordinates alumni activity planning and delivery of appropriate activities for alumni of all programs, oversees alumni assistants and alumni fellows, coordinates updates to alumni information, submits regular reports on alumni activity; and
- Coordinates and supervises all logistics for events: meeting flights, transporting to hotels, organizing support staff, registering participants, providing support to dignitaries and guests.
Administration and Finance:
- Manages all general office administrative matters including but not limited to negotiating contracts; interacting with landlords, and maintaining proper work environment;
- Develops country office practices that are in compliance with local legislation, U.S. grant requirements, global American Councils policies, and program policies or procedures;
- Provides DC office with monthly finance reports and budgets, monitors all outgoing and incoming funds;
- Hires for approved positions, prepares contracts and maintains files for host country national staff, trains and oversees staff, conducts performance reviews, monitors proper submission of timesheets; and
- Provides oversight for maintenance of local website and intranet materials pertinent to local office.