The Director of Programming & Production leads the programming team for WHYY TV12. This position oversees national and local television programming on broadcast, cable/satellite, live linear streaming and digital video platforms.
The person holding this position strategically evaluates television content offerings and creates television programming schedules, including amplifying local stories that will increase WHYY's impact in the viewing territory. The position works closely with the Vice President of Programming & Production to manage local productions and national presentations.
The Director is a key liaison between Content Production, Communication & Member Relations, Development and Institutional Advancement to ensure cross departmental communication around programming and production pipelines to advance audience, membership and revenue goals and strategies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create the TV program schedule for WHYY's main channel with the goal of increasing the ratings and maintain cumulative audience.
- Build programming and production budgets, including managing program acquisitions.
- Manage distribution of content on live linear streaming (e.g., YouTube TV), digital video platforms (YouTube), cable video on demand and others
- Recommend and implement strategies to improve content performance by monitoring overnight ratings, cumulative data and audience trends.
- Maintain a relationship with public television distributors (PBS, American Public Television, NETA, BBC, Acorn, EPS and others); attend annual conferences and distributor meetings.
- Send out the monthly schedule to all staff, identifying program highlights and content that has local tie-ins.
- Supervise television operations and manage the traffic team. Work with with Joint Master Control Operation company (Centralcast), ProTrack vendor (Myers) and others to build more effective workflows/practices in content delivery.
- Supervise Production and Programming Coordinator and work with the position to manage local series and standalone content.
- Work collaboratively with underwriting and promotions team on scheduling priorities and requirements.
- Manage program acquisitions – nationally syndicated content and local acquisitions.
- Oversee national presentations with distributors.
- Respond to concerns/issues/problems associated with TV broadcast content.
- Conduct general project management duties, including setting deadlines, assigning responsibilities, securing approvals, releases, etc.
- Develop improved workflow, monitoring department resources while working to increase efficiency
- Build and nurture relationships with independent producers and local producing organizations.
*To be considered for employment, a cover letter is required*