Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony AwardŽ and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019. His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alleys artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alleys leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatres programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
The Senior Manager, Individual Giving will be responsible for managing a portfolio of 100 individual donors and prospects with the capacity to give between $5,000 and $15,000 annually. This position will also be responsible for the planning and execution of the Alley Theatres end-of-season and end-of-calendar year fundraising campaigns, and will work closely with the Director of Individual Giving, Gift Officers, and the Research Analyst to meet stated strategic and revenue goals.
- Responsible for securing a minimum of $400,000 annually through direct donor solicitations.
- Manage a portfolio of 100 individual donors at any given time. Portfolio will consist of renewing donors, lapsed donors, and donor prospects, who have the capacity to give between $5,000 and $15,000 annually.
- Conduct 100 substantive actions (including face-to-face visits) with portfolio donors and prospects
- Work with the Director of Individual Giving and Director of Marketing to plan and execute the Alleys end-of-year and end-of-season campaigns. Responsible for fundraising activity executed through direct mail, e-mail, social media, texting, and others.
- Work with Director of Individual Giving and Research Analyst to identify new prospects for the organizations Artistic Directors Circle patron group. These donors and prospects have the capacity to make annual gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Enter all donor interactions into database to ensure accurate reporting and portfolio management.
- Work virtual and in-person patron events with the intent to build relationships with Alley Theatre donors and prospects. Events include Greenroom duty, Centerstage dinners, insider patron events, and rehearsals.
- Be an active participant in a team-based fundraising department and provide additional assistance to other development staff members when possible.
- Meet stated financial and strategic goals. Job performance will be determined by evaluating revenue generated and meaningful interactions conducted.