This position works collaboratively with the lead teacher to plan, develop, execute and deliver lesson plans based on preschool standards, developmentally appropriate objectives and CDE guidelines. The role of each staff member is to provide professionalism for St Mary Preschool by promoting and maintaining the goals and objectives of the preschool in all aspects of the position, including daily job responsibilities, communication with others and by positively representing the church and school.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
In accordance with the Colorado Department of Human Services, Office of Early Childhood, the Teachers Assistant will support the preschool and school mission by:
- Ensuring the safety of each child, including respecting the privacy of all students, staff and families by maintaining confidentiality in all matters.
- Forming the students in faith, virtue and values in cooperation with parents as the first educators.
- Providing a nurturing and loving environment in the classroom in order to promote desired learning goals. To accomplish these goals, the preschool uses Pyramid Plus as a social and emotional guide for expectations, schedules and routines.
- Maintaining and exceeding EKERS guidelines for a quality preschool program.
Direct Daily Manager: Lead Teacher in the Classroom
Direct Manager: Preschool Director
Guidance and Inspiration: Disciples of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary
Non-exempt, Hourly, Part Time, 20 -25 hours per week, no benefits
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (to include but not limited to):
The assistant teacher will be responsible for the safety of each child, implementing lesson plans, assessing students and working closely with the lead teacher to provide a loving and secure atmosphere for the students to learn. Specifically:
- Abide by licensing and accreditation requirements for school.
- Assist in the documentation and maintaining: individual child plans, child assessments, current PDIS records, goals, and lesson plans, including objectives and standards necessary to demonstrate child progress.
- Be a good steward to the property and respectful of the financial position of the school.
- Assist in maintaining class records to include attendance, portfolio progress and assessment data.
- Communicates important school wide events to parents and children.
- Assist lead teacher in all functions related to classroom management and teaching
- Participates in at least 15 hours of professional development training each year, with the expectation of completing Pyramid Plus training (48 hours) within the first year if not already completed upon employment.
B. Staff relations
- Provides a spirit of cooperation, flexibility and integrity throughout the school.
- Abides by personnel policies, maintaining professionalism at all times.
- Attends after hours and preschool staff meetings regularly.
- Supports other staff members through prayer, assistance and shift sharing
- Work with teachers as appropriate to plan and execute curriculum, lesson plans, field trips and programs as necessary to enhance the preschool experience for the children and families. The Assistant Teachers daily function is directed by the classroom teacher, in collaborative communication.
C. Student relations
- Maintains a safe and healthy environment for students.
- Creates an environment conducive to all learners.
- Facilitates children developing a positive self-image, academic and social/emotional success through the implementation of developmentally appropriate practices. We are a discovery and experiential program where children learn through intentional play. We assess their progress through authentic assessment and documentation. All staff members are expected to understand and accelerate the progress of each student in their classroom through intentional environments, open-ended questions and individual knowledge of progress.
D. Parent Relations:
- Creates a positive relationship with all parents enrolling children in the school.
- Encourages parent participation as part of classroom activities.
- Share concerns with lead teacher before approaching or answering questions related to a childs progress or behavior when appropriate.
- Maintain positive communication with parents regarding the program, staff, teachers, other students or school.
E. General and Other
Fully initiated Catholic in communion of the Catholic Church and intentionally living out the five precepts of the Church (CCC 2041-2043)
- Maintains a neat and clean physical appearance.
- Notifies the director and co-teachers in the event of an absence
- Works with all staff members and persons affiliated with St Mary Catholic School in a cooperative and supportive manner.
- Follows the personnel policies of St Mary Preschool.
- Provides a religious emphasis in the preschool learning environment
- Keeps a positive line of communication open between St Mary Preschool, St Mary Catholic School and St Mary Catholic Church.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE PROFILE
- Current early childhood professional Credential Level II Version 1.0 or 2.0 as determined by the Colorado Department of Education. (Includes 1820 hours of verified experience, ECE 101 and ECE 103)
- Efficient in the use of personal computers
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, MAC and applications necessary to fulfill daily assessment and communication requirements
- Familiar with Teaching Strategies GOLD, Creative Curriculum and NAEYC guidelines
- Familiar with the use of general office equipment
PROFILE FOR SUCCESS
- Demonstrate knowledgeable decision-making, judgment and concern for proper care and well-being of children
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance
- Continuously take initiative
- Works well with others. Addresses concerns professionally and respectfully.
- Professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills
- Reliable and consistently provides quality work
- Ability to honor and maintain confidentiality
- Connects the work of the preschool with that of the school and parish