The Deputy Director Data Governance and Data Strategy is responsible for the performance, integrity and reporting related to the membership database and e-commerce interface. This individual will serve as a subject-matter expert for both APA and District Branch/State Association membership business processes and will develop and document and implement database and reporting processes within the Salesforce database. Working with the Director, Membership and Member Engagement, IT and the membership team, this role is responsible for development and oversight of APAs approach to data management and membership processes, conducting quality assurance and system testing, and identifying opportunities to improve the internal user and member experience. Additionally, the Deputy Director is responsible for providing training to those in the Membership and Customer Service functions. This individual will also serve as the data steward for the organizations data governance function and will work cross-functionally with peers throughout the organization.
This is an opportunity to build a meaningful user experience for our more than 38,500 members while ensuring they receive the customer service they have come to expect. This individual is a central part of a department that has helped the APA achieve annual membership growth and is a respected contributor of cross-functional work throughout the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Data Strategy and Governance
- Serve as the membership departments data steward and/or data custodian for APAs data governance initiative, working cross-functionally to develop and oversee procedural adherence and business continuity.
- Lead cross-departmental efforts to ensure consistency of business rules, data policies, practices and training.
- Develop and maintain a data dictionary, data policies, and process documents.
- Develop and manage quality control and quality assurance processes for all membership database initiatives.
- Manage reporting, and analysis of membership financial and other types of membership transactions (i.e. transfers to other district branches, applying discounts, generating group invoices, monitoring lockbox issues).
- Identify problems based on member feedback, work with IT and external vendors to fix issues to ensure data integrity.
- Proactively identify and present solutions to common or unique member challenges.
- Diagnose and work with IT to troubleshoot database errors.
- Create automated processes for repeatable database tasks.
- Member Experience
- Work across the organization and with external partners to develop and implement a membership data strategy aimed at measuring key membership retention and engagement indicators.
- Responsible for the management and maintenance of the membership database and serves as an expert on member experience as the point of contact within the Association.
- Responsible for tracking and translating system-related business rules from APAs Operations Manual into data governance and system adherence.
- Responsible for the membership ecommerce experience.
- Train colleagues in how to input and extract data based on system functionality and business rules.
- Recommend emerging database technologies.
- Reporting and Measurement
- Responsible for identifying, measuring and optimizing for the members user experience, working collaboratively with internal stakeholders including Membership, Marketing, and IT.
- Identify opportunities to utilize Salesforce capabilities to improve Association processes and member engagement.
- Work with Membership and Marketing on member data collection, analysis, and improvement.
- Write and document Salesforce reports for internal usage including for auditing purposes, general membership reporting, tracking and trending.
- Develop, document and manage database reports, visualizations, and dashboards.
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors degree required with a minimum of eight years of experience, preferably in a related field/position or professional association.
- Data Governance, quality assurance and skills strongly preferred.
- Process documentation skills required.
- Strong command of SQL and SQL server tools.
- Familiarity with SSAS, SSIS, SSRS.
- Strong mathematical and statistical knowledge.
- Strong knowledge of database management and administration, digital strategy, IT and/or operations.
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with using or implementing membership databases, preferably Salesforce or other related platforms.
- Exceptional strategic and analytical expertise with ability to take ideas and assemble concepts/solutions for communication to different levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and ability to think creatively.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple complex projects in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to measure performance outcomes.
- Service-oriented with a focus on superior results.
- Self-motivated, nimble and comfortable working with minimal supervision.
- Collaborative and able to work cross-functionally.
- Normal demands associated with an office environment.
- Ability to work on computer for prolonged periods, communicate with individuals by telephone, e-mail and face to face.
- Some travel may be required.