Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Health and Fitness Coach to join the Women and Children's Ministries team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Health and Fitness Coach supports the Women’s Program Ministry and efforts to provide holistic transformative care to residents of the Oaks Recovery program by providing Christ-centered fitness, nutrition and supportive (grace-based, trauma informed) community to those in greatest need.
Our Women and Children's Ministries team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday Friday (with regular evening/weekend obligations)
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and implement weekly fitness activities for Oaks Program residents at Hope Place to include:
- Weekly walking/running activities
- Fitness classes at Hope Place (Yoga, Barr, Pilates or strength training)
- Monthly hikes/climbs or bouldering activity
- Coordination of swimming passes with local gym(s)
- Monthly/Quarterly/Annual fitness events (5k, 10k, Half Marathon etc)
- Work closely with Outreach, Women’s Emergency Shelter and WCM Program Directors to ensure all fitness scheduling, transportation and events work seamlessly with all Mission Program schedules and programming.
- Work with Oaks Recovery Program staff to ensure an alcohol/substance free environment for fitness, recovery and discipleship which may include conducting Urinalysis (U/A) testing with women program participants if needed.
- Work with Men’s Health and Fitness Coach to coordinate combined program events and activities.
- Provide nutrition classes and seminars to program residents in partnership with WCM Senior Director.
- Research other fitness and nutrition program models nationwide to ensure best-practices.
- Provide regular input and recommendations to management.
- Prepare monthly statistical and narrative reports, as required.
- Provide support to the Missions peer-to-peer Walk/Run/Ride activities to successfully engage partners and volunteers for events and training.
- Work with Development team to coordinate annual event schedule to ensure weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual events are well publicized internally to Mission residents participating in fitness programming.
- Work with Mission Volunteer Engagement Departments to solicit and track all volunteer hours and opportunities.
- Help identify and record stories of Team Mission participants, recovery program residents, Mission staff and community members.
- Ensure all fitness events, volunteers and interns are interacting with those we serve in a grace-based and relationally-driven manner.
- Produce and distribute schedules, maintain accurate and timely records, and ensure the physical security and maintenance of assigned equipment.
- Maintain a positive, pleasant, professional Christian attitude. Work with other staff to forge and model transparent and supportive Christian relationships which will serve as a leadership example for recovery program residents.
- Work effectively with colleagues throughout the Mission's organization to achieve ministry objectives, maintaining good communication and working relationships.
- Assist with research of, and requests to prospective sponsors for Team Mission.
- SUGM accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission staff are encouraged to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.