Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Overnight Guest Services Associate, Part Time to join the KentHOPE team in Kent, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Overnight Guest Services Associate, Part Time works with a dedicated staff to help create a safe, welcoming, and healing environment for woman at KentHOPE Overnight Shelter. This position is a part of a 24-hour team to provide information, referral, and support services to KentHOPE guests. Responsible for providing leadership for the guests, overseeing volunteers, maintaining facility safety and cleanliness. KentHOPE operated a day center for women and children and a rotating overnight shelter for single, adult women.
Our KentHOPE team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Friday and Sunday 8:30pm-6:30am. Occasional holidays may be required.
Essential Job Duties
- Help maintain a positive, pleasant and Christian atmosphere
- Provide daily, positive interaction and guidance to guests. Actively assisting staff, guests, and volunteers in shelter set up from 8:30pm-10:00pm and each morning from 5:30am - end of shift. During these times, staff must refrain from use of personal cell phones, computers or other activities not related to shelter or guests.
- Must stay awake and alert (not lying down) throughout entire shift. After lights out staff must complete all required shelter tasks and attentively monitor the shelter.
- Provide direct oversight and instructions for shelter set up and tear down daily, including direct supervision of loading and unloading the KentHOPE trailer.
- Oversee cleanliness of facility on shift, including chore supervision. Perform janitorial and maintenance duties as needed.
- Monitor the safety and security of the shelter and guests throughout shift, including doing hourly safety checks throughout the building and in sleeping areas.
- Assist guests with using the restroom.
- Due to the sensitive nature of these job functions we are only able to consider females.
- Respond to emergency situations promptly, in a calm and capable manner. Staff must work as a team throughout the duration of an emergency situation and follow the instructions of emergency personnel.
- Ability to deal therapeutically with behavioral and emotional problems presented by guests and understanding of trauma and its impact
- De-escalate guests during tense situations as needed.
- Uphold the guidelines of UGM Emergency Shelters to maintain a safe, healing environment - enforcing consequences, writing contracts, and holding guests accountable when necessary.
- Daily compile a thorough record of the events on your shift in staff log, maintain updated records in Client Track and communicate with other staff via email and Client Track.
- Complete data entry, documents, and assist with administrative tasks as assigned by your Supervisor.
- Check guests in and track building capacity.
- Successful completion of required training. Training may include: New Employee Orientation , CPR/First Aid, 12-15 Passenger Van training, Mental Health First Aid, and Trauma Informed Care
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and training, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor and leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills, including excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to work in cooperation with other Mission staff and partner organizations.
- Ability to follow through on projects and tasks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel Required)
- Ability to be proactive in recognizing problems and present appropriate solutions.
- Ability to have difficult conversations regarding guidelines and rules.
- Ability to de-escalate guests.
- Ability to maintain a positive and friendly personality and excellent customer service toward guests, visitors, volunteers and staff in all situations