NexPort Software Engineer Intern
The Company retains the right to add to or change this Job Description at any time.
As a member of the NexPort Solutions division, the Software Engineer Intern is a member of an Agile development team; develops internet, intranet, and other web applications; maintains computer databases; and provides technical support.
Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, including the following essential duties and responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. Other essential duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Participates in Release and Iteration Planning meetings with testers, engineers, and users.
- Employs organizational design patterns to develop application logic.
- Pairs with other engineers to solve complex problems.
- Designs Unit Tests as part of Test-Driven Development.
- Participates in the design and development of Object-Oriented software solutions.
- Analyzes users needs, and designs, creates, and modifies general computer applications software or specialized utility programs.
- Develops/analyzes algorithms that solve programmatic problems.
- Employs software configuration management tools (e.g., Mercurial, GIT).
- Develops and deploys web applications based on MVC4 and 5 as well as Windows client applications.
- Develops and deploys solutions based on SOAP and RESTful webservices.
- Designs and implements maintainable and scalable database schemes.
- Tests and coordinates changes to databases.
- Queries and manipulates relational data using Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Assists in planning and coordinating security measures.
- Solves technical problems pertaining to database design, internet-based application development, and multimedia-based training delivery.
- Performs any and all other duties, as assigned.
This job has the following non-essential duties and responsibilities. Other non-essential duties or responsibilities may be assigned.
- Performs any and all other duties, as assigned.
This job does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The employees supervisor provides continuing or individual assignments by indicating generally what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity expected, deadlines and priorities. Additionally, the supervisor gives specific instructions for new, difficult, or unusual assignments. The employee uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments. The supervisor assures that the work is technically accurate and in compliance with instructions or established procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Performing the essential functions of this job requires knowledge of:
- The practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various products and services.
Using American English, ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write grammatically correct reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
This job requires the use of spreadsheets, the Internet, navigation of the Internet and files, word processing, and databases. To perform this job successfully, the following competent skills are required upon hire: Google Email and Visual Studio.
To perform this job successfully, the following proficient skills are desired upon hire but, the employee must have the ability to achieve the skills required for the job:
- Must have the ability to learn Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Must have the ability to learn Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides;
- Must have the ability to learn Mercurial and MS SQL Server.
To perform this job successfully, the employee must have prior experience and proficient skills and knowledge of PC Workstations and Microsoft Windows.
Programming Languages Knowledge/Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, the following skills are required upon hire:
To perform this job successfully, the following are desired upon hire, but the employee must have the ability to achieve the skills required:
- Microsoft Structured Query Language (SQL)
Other Equipment and Tools:
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Gives full attention to what other people are saying, takes time to understand the points being made, asks questions as appropriate, does not interrupt at inappropriate times, and conveys awareness.
- Interacts in a positive way with persons of various social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds.
- Builds constructive working relationships with clients/customers, other work units, community organizations and others to meet mutual goals and objectives; behaves professionally and supportively when working with individuals from a variety of ethnic, social, and educational backgrounds.
- To perform this job successfully, an employee should have the following work-related competencies:
- Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals; works cooperatively with other team members, involves others, shares information as appropriate, and shares credit for team accomplishments.
- Monitors and checks work to meet quality standards; demonstrates a high level of care and thoroughness; checks work to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Sets high standards and well-defined, realistic goals for ones self; displays a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments in a timely manner; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve.
Language Skills and Abilities, Other than American English
The successful candidate must have completed at least 64 hours toward a Bachelors degree with concentration in computer science, information systems, or related field. The successful candidate must have some experience with general programming and some familiarity with the software development process.
Specialized Education/Training and Experience
Certificates and Licenses
The employee is NOT required to drive on company business.
No overnight travel is required for this job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, use hand or hands, and reach with hands and arms over 5 hours per day, and to talk or hear over 5 hours per day.
While performing the duties of this job, the employees vision requirements include clear vision at 20 inches or less, clear vision at 20 feet or more, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. These requirements are required while reading text and graphics on a computer screen and distance vision for viewing projections on a screen.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate noise in a business office with computers and printers, light traffic, etc.
Prior to hire, the selected candidate, if not a current Company employee, will be required to authorize the Company to conduct the following background checks
- A criminal background investigation and Social Security Number trace;
- A registered sex offender search.
In addition, the selected candidate, if not a current Company employee, must successfully complete one or more skills assessments.