Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Safety Coordinator to join the Emergency Shelters team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Safety Coordinator will operate around the Mission which includes the 2nd Ave., 3rd Ave., Washington Street and Extension S neighborhood, for purposes of engaging people in need or in crisis. The Safety Coordinator is responsible for enforcing Guest Services policies and procedures, which includes enhancing safety in the neighborhood for Mission guest, staff and neighbors.
Our Emergency Shelters team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Sunday from 2:00 PM - 10:30 PM, Monday from 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM, Tuesday-Thursday from 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
Essential Job Duties
- Proactively outreach and engage with guests and non-guests that are loitering and camping along 2nd Avenue/Washington St., and encouraging people to use alternatives to loitering on the 2nd Avenue/Washington St. block, and surrounding area.
- Enforce the Guest Services policies with Mission guests.
- Provide assistance to homeless people and others who are experiencing crises caused by mental illness and/or excessive drug/alcohol consumption.
- Documenting and communicating repeated violations of the Guest Services policy’s.
- Intervene in client crises (medical, mental health, interpersonal).
- De-escalate arguments and altercations happening outside of the Mission.
- Take the lead role in coordinating with the Welcome Center, including participating in the weekly team meetings and working with other departments at the Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission as necessary.
- Initiate and maintain appropriate social interactions with guests.
- Think and act collaboratively with staff and guests to improve safety and cleanliness on 2rd Avenue/Washington St.
- Calling or coordinating the calling of 9-1-1 to address emergency situations on the block.
- Coordinate with and direct emergency first responders.
- Discourage and report predatory and/or illicit behavior.
- Actively participate in staff meetings and in‑service trainings.
- Commitment to the grace based therapeutic model and incorporating it into all aspects of the position.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and training, as required.