Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Principal Giving Director to join the Development team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
As the flagship Christian organization working with our homeless neighbors in Seattle, we have hundreds of relationships with significant capacity. We are looking for a leader that will take an aggressive and relational approach to engaging donors. We go beyond incremental growth with our donors to talk about organizational need and make capacity-based asks. We have a significant and urgent need in our community to help our homeless neighbors and we challenge relationships to walk arm in arm with us as we seek to make big change.
We are currently launching a new strategic plan. As a result of COVID 19 and a regional increase in unemployment, we are expecting to see an increase in homelessness in our community and we are prepared to increase our services to the community.
The Principal Giving Director manages the Principal Giving Team and is responsible for growing the principal Giving program. This focuses on donors that make an annual gift of $100,000 or greater. This includes high capacity prospecting, wealth screening and offer development.
We are looking for someone that shares our aggressive approach by inviting donors to increase their impact.
At present the team is still cultivating relationships with individual major and limited mid-level donors. As relationships grow they will work with higher capacity donors. The enterprise major and mid-level strategy lives with the Director of Donor Relations.
Our Development team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Essential Job Duties
- Manage, support, facilitate and review the work of direct reports by equipping, encouraging and empowering in their specific areas of responsibilities.
- Manage, review and approve all department staff hiring and disciplinary actions, in cooperation with supervisor and the People Team.
- Develop and meet annual department expense budget and goals.
- Develop overall principal donor treatment strategy which the CDO.
- Manage an overall team portfolio management strategy focused on increasing the principal donor base, growing current donors and reactivating lapsed donors. This role is responsible for the health of the principal channel and their team plays a key role in the success of our Major Donor channel.
- Regular involvement in donor prospecting. This includes teaching and coaching your team, managing the information and making recommendations, and following up with donors.
- Responsible for the regular development of proposal offerings. These offerings must focus primarily on annual operating needs. This includes tools to ask for $5,000+ gifts that falls outside of the regular appeal process. This could include annual operating, special projects or capital opportunities.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing to cultivate and increase giving of our donors.
- Cultivate personal and professional relationships with donors; engendering a sense of belonging to the Mission. This includes a portfolio of 30 to 50 donors.
- Maintain donor database, donor budgeting system and reports.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of Mission programs as a means to facilitate donor relationships, development and increase giving.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with other teams and revenue channels. This includes using principal team members and donors to support the success of areas outside your team through matching gifts, introductions, etc.
- Represent the Mission in the community with the purpose of fund donation and solicitation.
- Manage, create and execute principal donor events. Mid-level and major donor events are the responsibility of the Director of Donor Relations but your relationships will play a role in the success of those events.
- Any other job-related duties as directed by supervisor.