WHYY seeks a self-motivated, collaborative and connective community organizer to work closely with our Community Contributors and Engagement Editor, the Community Contributors Fellow, and the Vice President for News and Civic Dialogue to build and grow the News and Information Community Exchange, a soon-to-launch collective of local grassroots individuals providing vital information to their neighborhoods and communities through small publications, newsletters, podcasts and bulletins. This is a key position for nurturing a two-way mutual-aid relationship between WHYY and those already servicing their communities. This position continues the work of the WHYY newsroom to orient to solutions-based journalism, to diversify sources, and to build meaningful and lasting relationships with communities of color.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of Philadelphia’s diverse communities, an articulable passion for social justice and equity, a zeal for the value of local news and information, and a proven track record of organizing. Fluency in online event platforms, such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Hopin, is preferred but not required.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify and recruit grassroots individuals to the News and Information Exchange
- Conduct ongoing needs assessment of Exchange partners and work to address those needs through strategy, ingenuity, collaboration, and resource allocation.
- Identify, share and develop, and coordinate professional development and capacity-building opportunities for Exchange partners.
- Serve as a liaison between a community of grassroots creators and WHYY.
- Pitch, plan and produce discussions, expos and listening sessions in various neighborhoods across the city or online.
- Stay up to date on emerging trends in community media.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community leaders, journalists, editors and news executives.
- Oversee evaluation of outreach and engagement activities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Community Contributors and Engagement Editor