The YMCA of Southern Nevada is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility. We provide a wide range of programs and services to meet the needs of our community. As a nonprofit and cause-driven organization, we rely on the support of volunteers to deliver a high-quality experience for all – regardless of income or ability. In that effort, the YMCA of Southern Nevada is pleased to offer the Volunteer Program at our four local YMCA locations!
Through this program, selected volunteers will:
- Participate in diversified and hands-on experiences that will help them gain valuable school service hours (if applicable) and develop their resumes.
- Gain knowledge and transform that knowledge into action.
- Cultivate professional skills such as adaptability, responsibility, creativity, leadership, and communication.
- Explore different career pathways.
- Think larger than themselves by resolving real-world issues.
- Develop a professional network.
A Y volunteer’s journey begins with an interview, wherein they will collaborate with their volunteer coordinator to mesh the Y’s needs with their goals and interests. Examples of duties include:
- Youth & Family Department: Assisting with program and event facilitation, which includes leading youth and families in such activities as homework help, games, crafts, science projects, face painting, and the like.
- Large-Scale Community Events: Work the check-in table and lead various activity stations such as games, face painting, corn hole, cake walks, crafts, and the like. The Y hosts at least four large-scale community events each year and we need your help to make them successful!
- Togetherhood: Serve on a committee that meets occasionally to evaluate and respond to community volunteerism needs. Examples of past projects include a Western High School clean-up and a preschooler-senior craft collaboration.