Job Title: Manager of Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
FLSA Status: Salary, Exempt
Revision Date: March 2021
Good Samaritan Community Services began as a downtown mission of St. Marks Episcopal Church. It was formally established in 1951 by the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas, under the leadership of Bishop Everett Jones. Today, Good Sam has evolved into an independent 501(c)3 organization that provides comprehensive services to more than 5,500 individuals and 1,800 families annually in multiple locations in South Texas. Good Sam actively serves as a place of change, reaching out to support thousands of people working to improve their lives and to overcome the challenges of poverty.|
These services include family service programs that provide early childhood education programs and wraparound support for parents and senior citizens via the only nationally accredited senior center in South Texas, nationally recognized youth and teen services programs that provide afterschool and summer youth enrichment programs, including a youth leadership component and a college and career readiness program and other supportive programs that are focused on building the capacity of families to thrive, emotionally, socially, physically and financially.
Good Sam collaborates with a variety of organizations to enhance the quality of our programs. Current and past partners include: The San Antonio Food Bank, UT Health Science Center, Up Partnership, the City of San Antonio, SA Hope, Camp Capers, and Restore Education. Good Sam operates programs in five regional sites including: San Antonio - West and North East Side, Brownsville, Rio Grande Valley, Sonora, and Wimberley.
The Manager of Marketing and Communications is responsible for creating, implementing, and overseeing all marketing and communications efforts across the organization to audiences including donors, volunteers, program participants, partners, and the general public. Areas of responsibility and oversight include: branding and messaging, digital and print marketing, fundraising campaigns, collateral design and creation, photography and video, media relations, and organizational storytelling.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in liberal arts, communication, marketing, journalism or related field required.
- 3-5 years of non-profit marketing experience required.
- Experience in media relations and crisis communications preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as public speaking capabilities are required.
- Significant experience and demonstrated success with multi-project integrations is required.
- Proven success launching/developing marketing campaigns with an integrated marketing plan is preferred.
- Knowledge of marketing and communication software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, HootSuite, and Canva is required.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Demonstrate adherence to the CORE values of Good Samaritan Community Services.
- Assist in the creation and management of a comprehensive communications plan that aligns with Good Samaritan Community Services organizational and fundraising goals.
- Maintain the organization's editorial calendar to ensure an integrated cross-departmental communications plan through both print and digital formats.
- Develop talking points for CEO, CDO, Board of Directors, and other staff members for various public speaking opportunities.
- Ensure consistent and proper use of Good Samaritan Community Services brand and messaging across all internal and external channels using the organizational brand guidelines for various audiences including donors, volunteers, program participants, community partners, prospective supporters, city leaders, and the general San Antonio and regional community.
- Position Good Sam as a community leader in its work to prevent and end economic poverty.
- Provide strategy, content creation, and management for all digital marketing platforms including but not limited to website, social media, and email.
- Provide oversight of social media accounts including strategy and content creation, Good Sams Socialite Group, and account management.
- Manage graphic design for all internal and external projects.
- Manage various marketing vendor relationships including photography, videography, professional printing, advertising, and marketing agency, mail houses, and website developer.
- Partner with the Development team to develop creative campaigns and messaging for all fundraising appeals, both print and digital13. Provide support with the development of all materials, programming, video creation, speaker talking points, and media engagement for annual events, as well as on-site support for all events.
- Field all media requests, determine relevancy and appropriateness of Good Samaritan Community Services response to requests in conjunction with the CDO.
- Proactively build media relationships, pitch stories, and create press releases to increase awareness of Good Samaritan Community Services work and impact in the San Antonio and regional community.
- Collaborate with program teams to drive an internal culture of storytelling and share the impact of Good Samaritan Community Services work.
- Interview clients, staff members, donors, program participants, and volunteers to share stories with the general public, and ensure appropriate confidentiality with all interviewing and storytelling.
- Maintain current knowledge of Good Samaritan Programs.
- Assist in the planning and execution of Good Samaritans Crisis Management Communications Plan.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the CDO.
Manages all interns and work studies assigned.
This job operates in a professional office environment.
Some movement of documents and materials is required. The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. An ability to carry equipment at events and photoshoots for extended amounts of time is necessary. Standing and walking for extended periods of time is occasionally required.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This position requires occasional long hours and weekend work.
Local and regional travel is required and includes visits to fundraising and other networking events.
Benefits and Compensation
Starting salary is $45,000.00/year. A competitive compensation package will be offered for this position based upon the successful candidates education, skills, and experience.