McKinley Irvin is AV rated and recognized as a Tier 1 firm on U.S. News & World Report's "Best Law Firms". We have offices in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Everett, Vancouver, and Portland, OR. Our 40+ attorneys focus exclusively on family law. For more than 25 years we've dedicated ourselves to our clients, their families, and the evolving nature of what it means to be a family. First and foremost, we are empathetic advocates for our clients and relentless in our pursuit of the most favorable outcome on their behalf.
The Paralegal provides a wide range of legal support and completes a variety of duties while working alongside the attorney from the initiation of a case to the discovery period through trial/settlement and post-trial/settlement with document drafting and assembly and client interaction to ensure a smoothly run practice and superior experience for our clients.
- Open new client physical files.
- Draft internal forms (Request to Close, Request to Transfer, Check Request, Case Cover Sheet, etc.).
- Attend case status meeting with Attorney and maintain attendant Client Status Reports.
- Draft, file, serve and track general pleadings and documents/correspondence (Notice of Appearance, Notice of Absence, Notice of Intent to Withdraw, Transmittal Memorandums, etc.).
- Prepare and track parenting seminar, trial waiver and closing correspondence.
- Docket case schedules, hearings, mediations, depositions and associated deadlines, including maintaining tickle box and sending reminders to Attorney.
- Process incoming, outgoing mail and legal messenger deliveries and provide copies to client via client’s preferred method (email, mail).
- Run child support synopses using legal database application(s).
- Arrange for personal service and special messenger deliveries.
- Schedule telephone conferences, in-office appointments and conference rooms for Attorney.
- Assist Attorney in drafting motion paperwork, Property Settlement Agreements/Separation Contracts, final orders, Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs), Joint Statement of Evidence, ER 904 Notice, witness/exhibit lists, Interrogatories, Requests for Production and Subpoenas Duces Tecum and other case related pleadings and/or correspondence.
- Assemble motion documents, exhibits, Sealed Financial Source Documents, mediation materials, ER 904 Notice, Joint Statement of Evidence and trial notebooks.
- Prepare, assemble and arrange for delivery answers to Interrogatories and Requests for Production.
- Review answers to Interrogatories and Requests for Production for deficiencies and prepare memorandums and correspondence regarding same. Compare and contrast discovery responses and case records in Excel or Word.
- Coordinate and confirm court reporters and conference rooms for depositions.
- Schedule mediations/settlement conferences.
- Assist Attorney with drafting ER 904 Notice.
- Prepare Witness and Exhibit Lists for Trial.
- Format and revise Asset and Liabilities spreadsheets.
- Schedule trial witnesses for trial preparation with Attorney, maintain testimony schedule, spreadsheet and binder for trial witnesses.
- Supervise filing and document indexing & categorization projects with Legal Assistant and Document Clerks.
- Review files for completeness for Attorney prior to hearings, appointments and appearances.
- Assist other Paralegals as needed; provide coverage for absences.
- Input time into billing system on an ongoing task basis in real time.