Square Enix is seeking an enthusiastic and relentlessly creative individual to help establish and lead conceptual development, design, and production of world-class video and digital assets for use in broadcast, out of home and digital/social initiatives. The ideal candidate will understand what it means to push the boundaries of creativity through innovative thinking, teamwork, leadership, a highly sophisticated design sensibility, and a passion for building unforgettable experiences through creative storytelling.
The Creative Director, Video Content, will lead a small team of Editors and Motion Graphics Artists across all aspects of video creative, including full-length trailers, editorial, featurettes, social-forward promos, spots, sizzles, demos, and episodic content driven by Square Enix Creative Services and will set the visual tone for how audiences experience our video content. The VCD inspires and empowers teams to do their best work by fostering a highly collaborative environment and equipping creators with best practices, training, tools and the required resources to produce industry-leading video content.
Reporting to the Executive Creative Director, the VCD will be part of the Square Enix in-house creative leadership team and will collaborate with fellow leaders on process improvement and implementation. This role requires a pragmatic and thoughtful leader eager to inspire multidisciplinary creative teams in a collaborative studio while being able to dig into all aspects of production, inclusive of art direction, writing, design, and project management.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Ensures Creative Services exceeds expectations for Premium, World-Class Quality in all creative pursuits.
- Write, develop, pitch, and direct creative concepts for promos, trailers, ads, and short form content
- Lead video projects from pre to post-production.
- Lead approvals and feedback gathering throughout production process
- Build and manage a small team of Video Content Editors and Motion Graphics Artists.
- Provides creative oversight of video projects via daily and weekly check-ins and reviews.
- Lead the continued expansion of video creative and technical potential of Creative Services.
- Works with the Executive Creative Director to ensure projects maintain premium quality, are on brand across all Square Enix IPs, and are produced within budget.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to develop creative briefs for video campaigns and projects.
- Designs and maintains an efficient and effective video content production pipeline.
- Collaborates with producers to develop schedules and identify resource needs on internal projects.
- Provide strategic guidance to ensure that design solutions support specific business goals.
- Ensure that teams deliver projects that are exceptional creatively and impeccable technically.
- Collaborates with fellow leaders to improve processes and protocols across the department.
- Acts as a Project Director as projects demand and bandwidth allows.
- Drive improved ways to collaborate within the creative department and partner teams.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on creative development of video concepts to support marketing creative strategy needs.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, creative ambition and dedication to craft.
- Collaborate with leaders to drive innovative ideas that support our growth goals.
- Cross-functional relationship building to ensure alignment on deliverable quality and creative direction.
- Ability to think proactively, strategically and tactically, to move from high concept to detailed execution.
- Build working relationships with new external creative and production vendors, as well as strengthen and nurture partnerships with current vendors, to conceive/execute industry leading creative.
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional partners (marketing, brand, web, mobile, events, social, channel, etc) and further shared creative values and goals.
- Articulate and present creative ideas to senior leadership across the company.
- Attract and cultivate diverse and exceptional talent.
- Oversee production budgets and schedules.
- Manage multiple projects from start to finish while keeping multiple stakeholders appropriately informed and engaged.
- Review and approve the work of third-party creative and production resources.
- Provide high level guidance, iterative review and approval for Square Enix franchise creative.
- Partner with internal/external teams to analyze provided data, help collaborate/innovate design solutions for to achieve project goals.
- Mentor creatives on the team, creating a strong sense of purpose and community, and promoting a culture of design excellence.
- Present to cross-functional partners across Square Enix.
- Collaborate with partners in Marketing and Brand to launch and support major game titles.
Education, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Design, Film, Media, Communications, related field or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in a creative leadership role as a Director or Creative Lead at a game company, advertising agency, or branded content production company.
- Passion and talent for connecting audiences with ideas through visual storytelling.
- Experience directing color grading.
- Knowledge of digital and social best practices.
- Background in broadcast, video or motion-driven content creation.
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically, to move from high concept to hard-working detail.
- A portfolio demonstrating a track record of delivering highly creative and effective content for Fortune 500 brands.
- Ability to define and execute on high-level creative strategies.
- Experienced short-form content promo and trailer storyteller, with an amazing demo reel.
- Experience in writing, developing and pitching creative concepts.
- Experience working on brand/advertising projects.
- Proficient music editor and sound designer with an intimate understanding of the emotional power and structure of music.
- Proficient in Premiere Pro CC, Pro Tools, After Effects, Cinema 4D, and Photoshop.
- Resume (PDF Preferred)
- Demo Reel / Portfolio Website
- Knowledge of Nuke or industry-equivalent compositing software.
- Deep knowledge of Square Enix IPs, products, and services.
- A passion for video games, animation, movies and the culture that connects them
- Job knowledge
- Technical credibility
- Attention to detail
- Team Leadership
- Calm and respectful leadership
- Creative Leadership
- Proactive, Positive, and Professional
- Strategic thinking
- Organizational and project management
- Work management and dependability
- Verbal and written communication
- Interpersonal skills, relationship building
- Independent worker (take initiative and work well with little supervision)
- Team player
- Efficient and productive
- Adherence to policies
- This position manages a team of creatives.
- Marketing & Advertising
- Information & Technology Skills
- Computer Software
- This position does not require domestic and international travel.
- Due to COVID-19, this role has been placed on a Temporary Work From Home position.
- This job normally operates in a professional office environment. This role uses standard office equipment such as computers, laptops, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and move around the facilities. This would require the ability to lift files/boxes, open filing cabinets, file, bend, twist, stand on stool as necessary. Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision covered for you and the option to add your spouse/domestic partner and children at 2% of premium
- 401K Employer Match
- Life Insurance
- Generous PTO Policy
- Parental Leave, Sick Leave, Covid Leave,
- Pre-tax benefits (Medical FSA and Dependent Care FSA)
- Discount on game purchases and merchandise
Square Enix, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including breast feeding and related medical conditions), gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
Square Enix, Inc. is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. It is the policy of Square Enix, Inc. that qualified individuals with disabilities not be discriminated against because of their disabilities in regard to job application procedures, hiring, and other terms and conditions of employment. It is further the policy of Square Enix, Inc. to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in all aspects of the employment process.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to HR_RA@US.SQUARE-ENIX.COM. Please note that general employment questions are not addressed here.