Reports to: BMHS President
Bishop Machebeuf Catholic High School (BMHS), located in Denver, CO is looking for a principal for the 2022/23 academic year. BMHS currently serves 200 students.
The Principal reports to the President and is responsible for the education and formation of students and the professional growth of faculty. The Principal is a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Catholic Church and who meets the requirements to administer the overall education program in a Catholic school in the Archdiocese of Denver. The Principal assists the President in safeguarding and promoting the mission of the school, which is to lead students to encounter Christ through strong academics and faith-filled extra-curricular activities.
The Principal is responsible for administering the school’s education program, supervising teaching and some administrative and support staff and implementing curriculum guidelines and standards. The Principal is expected to work in conjunction with the directives of the President, the Office of Catholic Schools, and the Archdiocese of Denver.
The Principal will primarily oversee the programs and staff in the realms of:
- academic excellence
- curriculum, instruction, and assessment
- student life, discipline and safety
- campus ministry
- athletic and extracurricular activities
- school spirit
Under the direction of the President, the Principal will assist the President with:
- strengthening Catholic identity, mission advancement and development efforts
- general school operations
- finances and budgeting
- admissions, enrollment and retention
This is a 12-month, full-time, exempt position with weekend and evening work.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that the school’s curriculum conforms to Archdiocesan standards
- Recruiting, assisting in hiring and evaluating faculty aligned with the mission and vision of the school
- Encouraging teachers to use a variety of educational and pedagogical methods
- Identifying needs for teacher and staff training and provides in-service opportunities for teachers’ and staff professional development and formation
- Visiting classrooms regularly to observe the progress of teachers and students
- Coordinating teacher absences and securing coverage as needed
- Communicating with teachers, students and parents/families regarding students’ academic progress, student conduct and daily matters
- Facilitating conferences with parents/families
- Providing opportunities for parental/familial involvement in school programs and activities; formation of a Parent/Family Group
- Maintaining school accreditation standards as required by the Archdiocese and other local, state and national agencies
- Complying with appropriate canonical, federal, state and local laws and abiding by Archdiocesan policies and procedures
- Assisting the President with school operations and advancement needs
- Other duties as assigned by the BMHS President and as demanded by the school’s mission, needs and priorities
The following are considered minimum requirements for persons seeking employment as a principal. A principal hired for an Archdiocesan Catholic school shall:
- Be a Catholic in good standing with the Church, who assents to the Church’s teachings on all matters, with particular care for those concerning the nature of the human person, sexual ethics, and sexual morality.
- Have a strong commitment to the importance of the Catholic school ministry to the mission of the Church.
- Possess graduate level academic credentials and/or professional background in education, leadership, or related field.
- Have previous teaching experience; previous administrative experience is preferred.
- Be committed to the Archdiocese of Denver’s vision and philosophy for Catholic education.
- Be committed to a Catholic educational program rooted in the foundations of western civilization, an understanding of history that highlights the essential contributions of Christianity to the development of western culture, and literature that enables young men and women to grapple the big questions of life in pursuit of what is true, good, and beautiful.
All principal applicants must be screened and approved by the Office of Catholic Schools prior to local interviews. Ideal candidates:
- Bring awareness and understanding of adolescent development and the challenges adolescents and young adults face in the secular and morally relativist world of today.
- Are supportive and willing to drive ongoing school renewal through the strengthening of authentic Catholic education.
- Are collaborative leaders who evaluate information before making a decision/taking action.
- Exude trust and respect among students, faculty, parents and the Boards.
- Possess a strong positive, can-do attitude with a strong bias for action based on realistic, specific, and attainable goals.
In addition, the principal is expected to adhere to the minimum requirements for Catechist Certification as set forth by the Archdiocese of Denver.
To apply, please click on the link Principal (paycomonline.net)