The Deputy Director, Member Engagementwill work collaboratively across the organization and with various experts to identify, build and promote member value that has broad appeal to each of the member segments. In addition, the Deputy Director will have primary responsibility for development and implementation of membership recruitment, engagement, and retention campaigns, and is responsible for managing and mentoring one specialist-level position.
This role is an integral part of a department that has helped the APA achieve an eighteen year high in membership and is a respected contributor of cross-functional work throughout the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise and direct the Membership Development Specialist to ensure quality member service is provided and projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Conduct regular meetings with assigned staff to discuss concerns, share information, provide feedback, etc.
- Conduct performance evaluations and assist with development of professional goals.
- Product Development
- Assess opportunities to enhance the membership product offerings
- Develop implementation plans and direct the work of internal and external experts to develop, test and launch member-focused products.
- Consult and engage various member segments to identify potential products and services that will have an impact on membership value, specifically for Resident-Fellow members, Program Directors, and Early Career Psychiatrists to position the APA as a primary source of clinical and non-clinical information, and sustain those products until they should be sunsetted.
- Manage and support the development of online courses as member benefits and resources with the Education Department.
- Work with the APA medical student organization (PsychSIGN) to create joint recruitment opportunities that promote complimentary membership and highlights APA benefits.
- Evaluate new services and products based on a customer needs to ensure best possible experience for members.
- Manage APAs affinity programs to ensure that the members are aware of the offerings, and that the mix of programs remains relevant.
- Develop, implement and track the departmental budget in conjunction with the Director, Membership & Member Engagement.
- Provide regular updates on status of product development initiatives to leadership.
- Membership Recruitment, Retention and Engagement
- Employ best practices to effectively establish and execute strategies and tactics to meet organizational needs and goals through the promotion of member value.
- Direct for all aspects of membership recruitment, engagement, and retention to include the development of an annual comprehensive membership strategy and tactics, such as but not limited to: direct mail, incentives, grassroots initiatives, tradeshows, telemarketing, email campaigns, and digital campaigns.
- Collaborate with Integrated Marketing Department and external agencies/partners to execute membership recruitment, engagement, and retention tactics.
- Develop marketing materials supporting membership across all communication channels.
- Responsible for pulling lists and data out of SalesForce, and/or will collaborate with the Deputy Director, Member Experience and Administration and IT on writing accurate specifications to have reports created.
- Collaborate with the Membership team, the Director of Integrated Marketing, and other APA departments and staff to: 1) establish marketing strategies and goals to meet organizational recruitment and retention goals, and 2) identify opportunities for collaboration on membership recruitment and retention.
- Work with District Branches to develop tools and resources for use in their own membership recruitment efforts; provide support with the aim of meeting shared goals for recruitment and retention and exemplary member service.
- Collaboration & Membership Analysis
- Work with Deputy Director of Data Governance and Data Strategy and other APA departments to measure impact of products and services.
- Advise on membership trends and identify problem areas based on data gathered in reports.
- Create feedback loops with leadership and general members to identify member needs and assess membership value on an ongoing basis and make strategic adjustments as needed.
- Identify membership segments and communication channels that should be used to amplify promotional opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Undergraduate degree required, with CAE a plus.
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience building and marketing membership and programs that drive value for member recruitment and engagement purposes.
- Experience with direct mail, digital/social marketing and analytics required.
- Experience in a complex and fast past organization, preferably in a medical or professional association with a national focus.
- Excellent writing skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills.
- Working knowledge of Association Management Systems, SalesForce is a plus.
- Budgeting skills, with history of budget development and tracking.
- Able to interface with a variety of constituencies with different needs and demands to achieve strategic goals.
- Highly driven and results oriented, strong management skills, ability to set and enforce priorities and deadlines.
- Strong track record as an implementer who thrives on leading a variety of key initiatives concurrently and will work independently, if necessary, to get the job done.
- Demonstrated experience initiating, managing delivering and evaluating membership focused projects, programs, and services.
- Demonstrated ability to work with ambiguous evidence and adapt effectively to changing circumstances.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator.