This is an non-exempt position.
The Certified Prescribed Burn Manager (CPBM) coordinates day-to-day activities of the prescribed fire crew and participates in wildland fire operations which include ignition, control, mop-up, suppression, monitoring, etc. The CPBM will participate in preparing fire lines, maintaining equipment, post-burn monitoring and other tasks. May perform other natural resources management and all-hazards incident response duties when conditions are not conducive to prescribed fire.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operate safely within a project budget.
- Function as both leader and member of a work team, in a high stress team environment.
- Convey work instructions to Burn Crewmembers.
- Monitor the progress of Burn Crewmembers toward achieving fire management goals.
- Makes decisions on the fire line based upon evaluation of fire behavior, available resources and judgment.
- Perform other duties when conditions are not conducive to prescribed fire.
- Ability to perform heavy physical work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a Call When Needed (CWN) position, with the potential for ongoing work throughout the fire season. Shift length on prescribed fires or wildfires can be up to sixteen (16) or more hours in length.
Overnight travel will commonly be required, 75% or greater of the time.
- High school diploma and 1-year training in fire operations, science-related field or similar field or related experience in land management.
- Qualified (with currency) Florida Certified Prescribed Burn Manager (CPBM).
- Arduous Duty physical fitness standards maintained at all times.
- Experience operating and maintaining various types of equipment.
- Experience supervising staff is required.
- May be required to obtain related licenses and certifications such as CPR and CDL.
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record for past 36 months.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Qualified (with currency) NWCG Prescribed Fire Burn Boss, Type 3 or 2 (RXB3/RXB2).
- 1-2 years training in fire operations or other science-related field or related experience in land management or similar field.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Ability to evaluate inputs in a rapidly changing work environment and make decisions that affect the safety and work of firefighters within squad.
- PC familiarity, including database knowledge, in order to maintain preserve records.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Due to the nature of the work of Chloeta a Security Clearance may be necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Chloeta provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.