- Must be able to jump out of a bus (3-foot drop) and climb from the emergency door.
- Have the ability to walk forward and backward in the bus without assistance.
- You will be tested on emergency evacuation procedures.
- Must be able to tolerate hot and cold weather.
- Ability to work in an environment with limited to moderate level of supervision and an atmosphere of informal autonomy: This requires adaptability to variable pressures and paces in any given workday.
- Able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously while concentrating on the safety of children, as well as their physical, mental, or emotional needs.
- Be able to tolerate diesel fuel fumes, odors, and moderate dust conditions
Activity: Pre-and Post-trip inspection of the bus, loading, and unloading of students.
Longest Single Duration: 10 Minutes.
Terrain: Gravel/blacktop/Concrete and/or bus aisle 22 steps to the back of the bus. Bus aisle is 12” wide.
Total Time: 3-7 hours.
Activity: While driving the bus.
Longest Single Duration: 2 hours.
Type of Seat: 17” x 17” bus seat that offers vibrations. Seat set back 40” from the accelerator and brake. Seat will adjust 12” before steering Colum.
Activity: Must lift wheelchair dependent children during emergency situations (50 lbs.).
Activity: Grasping wheelchair handles
Frequency: 6 to 8 times per day (more frequent on handicap buses)
Handle Height: 30 to 42 inches
Handle Distance: Body width plus an area for walking
Securement of the parking brake, wheelchair, lap belt, etc.
Bending or stooping:
Activity: For pre-post trip inspection purposes. Employee must negotiate body level changes i.e. bending and stooping, to inspect the bus, securement of the wheelchair, lap belt and other safety restraints.
Activity: Climbing in and out of the bus.
Frequency: 6 to 8 times per day. More frequent if on handicap bus.
Note: Three 12” steps each approximately.
Activity: To turn on ignition 18" from the steering wheel.
Operate left side control panel, emergency exits, and service door. Operate lights - 18" forward reach. Operate radio - overhead reach to 45" from top of the seat.
Activity: Must distinguish colors of electric traffic signals to determine red, yellow, and green.
Visual sight must be maintained with current State and Federal requirements.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Workday hours are 4 - 8 hours per day.
Required Education and Experience
- Must possess and be able to maintain from their state of residence at least a valid B Commercial Driver's License and must be able to obtain and possess their P&S endorsements.
- Must be 21years of age or older at the time of hire.
- Must pass the physical examination for drivers as prescribed in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Must pass a drug screen/ alcohol screen and submit to random, periodic, post-accident, and reasonable cause drug testing as required or requested.
- Must complete 36 to 40 hours of training including classroom and defensive driving tests.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or have proper Immigration and Naturalization Service’s work permits.
- Must meet minimum Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) criteria.
- Any DWI, DUI, revocation and/ or suspension on your MVR within the last five (5) years or
- Any or a combination of three offenses listed, within the last two years, will prevent the hiring of a driver.
- Examples: 3 moving violations; 2 moving violations and 1 preventable accident; 1 moving violation and 2 preventable accident
8. Must be willing to submit, or have a felony criminal record check.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.