St. Mary Catholic Parish is seeking an enthusiastic, practicing Catholic Director of Music for our parish of 1800+ families. The successful candidate can play a primary instrument (either organ or piano), has experience in directing choirs in Catholic church settings, and is ready to embrace the Pastor's vision for worshiping through music for our community.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
In conjunction with the liturgical norms and guidelines of the Church, the vision of the Disciples of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary (DCJM) and quality musical presentation, the Director of Music will develop and lead a music ministry program that will serve and enhance all liturgies, and seek to facilitate and increase participation by our assemblies, and aid in their worship.
- Direct and form various choirs, ensembles and bands that serve at the parish’s regular weekend liturgies, and on holy days and other special liturgical celebrations.
- Oversee and organize music ministry participation at funerals, weddings, other sacramental celebrations, and parish retreats.
- Prepare for liturgical seasons and key liturgies in collaboration with the Director of Liturgy.
- Coordinate musical support for catechetical and evangelical activities for the school and other ministries.
- Join with staff to foster a spirit of welcome and develop a ministerial focus on the weekend Mass experience.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (to include but not limited to):
- Coordinate with the Pastor to determine the parish repertoire for all liturgies: Sunday and Holy Day masses, weddings, funerals, and designated parish celebrations and programs, and to plan the celebration of the Liturgical Year.
- Lead the choirs, instrumentalists, and the assembly at liturgies, and develop and direct volunteer team leaders and cantors to assist in leading liturgies.
- Coordinate with Director of Facilities to provide direction for the use and maintenance of the sound system and all associated equipment.
- Assist other ministries with needs for sacred music in their activities.
- Work in cooperation with school music teacher to foster growth of school music program and connections with parish music ministry.
- Develop and maintain a library of sacred musical compositions.
- Care for the musical assets of the community and direct good purchases of new instruments and equipment.
Parish Music Ministry
- Recruit, train, direct, and supervise volunteer cantors, other vocalists, and instrumentalists, including children where appropriate.
- Form, rehearse, and schedule choirs, ensembles, and orchestras.
- Select, train, supervise, and mentor team leaders.
- Remain actively involved in preparation for and execution of all parish liturgies, even where assisted by a team leader.
- Work with the liturgy team to identify and implement creative ideas to grow the music ministry, involve more volunteer musicians and enhance parishioner understanding of liturgy and music.
- Communicate clearly and adequately inform team leaders and other ministry members of upcoming events, activities and ministry needs.
- Instill a sense of service and stewardship within the Music Ministry, and an appreciation of its role as part of the parish team of liturgical ministries.
- Develop and administer a budget for Music Ministry programs in consultation with the Pastor.
- Maintain office hours that are consistent with the requirements of the ministry.
- Participate in scheduled staff meetings and retreats.
- Be an active member of the staff team through regular interaction, participation in staff and parish functions, and active support of the parish vision of the DCJM.