WHYY 90.9 is looking for a dynamic on-air talent. This host will have a keen awareness of what information is of interest to listeners of Philadelphia, its suburban communities, South Jersey, and Delaware – from news and what stories has the region buzzing to lifestyle, trends and entertainment. The ideal candidate must have a passion for current events, an ability to connect with diverse audiences, and be committed to working collaboratively. Must have a deep understanding of how to go beyond the latest news, headlines, and events to plan and craft an entertaining and unique product.
This candidate is not just a news reader, but a host who can communicate scripted newscasts and ad-libbed items. As an ambassador for WHYY and face of the station, the host will be participate in station and client events/remotes, connect with the community and our listeners, and network within the market. Candidates must have passion, work ethic and drive. Three to four years of on-air or producing experience is strongly preferred, but not required. If you have a personality, a great sense of humor, are innovative, organized and motivated to grow, we want to hear from YOU!
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write, edit and interview for the production of newscasts.
- Keep track of local and national breaking news and be prepared to stay beyond assigned shift if necessary.
- Preparation for shift means reading through NPR show rundowns for complete understanding of programs, looking for non-news elements outside of newscasts to create a conversational, informational, and non-traditional NPR approach to air shift.
- Narration of local element to NPR podcast as assigned
- Operate combo audio board
- Produce newscast and segment features.
- Maintain news files in audio vault system.
- Represent WHYY at public and member events.
- Collaborate with producers for feature interviews and script writing.
- Monitor program stream.
- Host special projects and special coverage events as needed.
- Cross over for special television assignments as host or reporter
- Develop signature segments for assigned shifts.
- Record continuity automation reads as requested.
- Must become familiar with—and fully embrace WHYY goals for cultural competency and embrace diversity along with station goals in Strat 2020.
- Review performance in regular intervals with news and program managers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Please submit recordings of radio hosting, including doing newscasts with your application.