The Institute of World Politics
The Institute of World Politics is a graduate school of national security and international affairs, dedicated to developing leaders with a sound understanding of international realities and the ethical conduct of statecraft, based on knowledge and appreciation of the founding principles of the American political economy and the Western moral tradition. Our employees enjoy a flexible work environment, great benefits, and a real opportunity to make a difference. We are looking to grow our talented team of professionals and scholar-practitioners. Join our mission-committed university and make a difference.
For more information about The Institute of World Politics, visit www.iwp.edu.
Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement - Full-time (FT)
Reporting directly to the President on matters of strategy and the execution of IWP’s fundraising activities, as well as serving as part of the IWP senior management team, the Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement is responsible for the growth of IWP's donor base and fundraising activities to help achieve long-term financial viability of the Institute in alignment with IWP’s strategic plan. This role designs and assures implementation of cost-effective fund development programs, employing economy while maintaining an acceptable level of quality and solid return on investment. This position meets with, and solicits donations from, individual donors, foundations and corporations. The Senior Vice President of Institutional Advancement is responsible for management of all aspects of regulatory compliance with state and local fundraising statutes and regulations, including maintaining all necessary permits and licenses.
The position will report to the Executive Vice President on business functions to ensure that proper governance, personnel, and financial controls are followed. To perform in this position successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Assures proper planning, including goal setting, strategy identification, benchmarking and evaluation to support fund development.
- Develops and implements a multifaceted fundraising program to achieve fundraising targets as set by the IWP Board and President.
- Manages and grows IWP's legacy donation program.
- Manages IWP's Chancellor's Council program and provides support to local chapters in respect to fundraising events.
- Provides weekly activity reports, including weekly and month-by-month forecasts of anticipated donations, to the President, EVP and IWP Business Office.
- Manages all Institutional Advancement staff and their activities in accordance with the department's work plan. This includes setting performance metrics for all staff, including individual annual fundraising targets.
- Assures sound fiscal operation of development function including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of charitable contributions, income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring, and implementation.
- Combines development resources in such a way as to maximize quantity and quality to obtain a set of results.
- Provides assistance to board members, senior leaders, other fundraising volunteers and staff to identify, cultivate and solicit charitable gifts.
- Solicits contributions on behalf of the organization, involving staff, faculty, and volunteers, where possible.
- Works with IWP Senior management and outside PR consultants on development and implementation of IWP's Strategic Branding & Marketing Plan.
- Works with the IWP Board Development Committee and IWP Advisory Board on institutional advancement matters.
- Assures development and writing of foundation, corporate, government proposals and solicitation materials.
- Oversees design and maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and informational reports.
- Assures appropriate prospect research.
- Maintains design and implementation of cultivation, acknowledgment, and recognition programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
This position reports to the President and serves as a part of the IWP senior management team. Within the organization, the position has primary relationships with the financial operation, senior management staff, faculty, and program staff. Outside the agency, the position coordinates with the governing board, fundraising volunteers, donors, and other funding sources.