The Geological Society of America seeks to hire a Marketing Coordinator
The Geological Society of America is looking for a Marketing Coordinator to join our Team!
The Geological Society of America (GSA) (https://www.geosociety.org) unites a diverse community of geoscientists in a common purpose to study the mysteries of our planet (and beyond) and share scientific findings. Members and friends around the world, from academia, government, and industry, participate in GSA meetings, publications, and programs at all career levels, to foster professional excellence. GSA values and supports inclusion through cooperative research, public dialogue on earth issues, science education, and the application of geoscience in the service of humankind.
GSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and GSA is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business organization and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in our organizational policies, and the way we do business at GSA, and is an important principle of sound business management. Please see GSA’s Commitment to Diversity.
Are you a creative marketer who wants to use your skills to make a difference in the world? Do you have a passion for science, the environment, humanitarian issues, and the latest marketing tools and techniques? If so, the Geological Society of America (GSA) is looking for a Marketing Coordinator to join our team!
As the Marketing Coordinator at GSA, you will have the opportunity to promote the Society's mission, brand, members, products, and services to internal and external stakeholders and the public using a variety of digital media resources. You will play a critical role in advancing GSA's marketing strategy, which aligns with our organizational goals and strategic plan.
By focusing on key social media platforms, email marketing, and web applications, you will help develop and enhance brand awareness, promote a positive brand image, generate inbound web traffic, acquire leads and customers, encourage program participation, and provide service to GSA members and the geoscience community. As a natural relationship builder, you will interact with GSA program directors and community stakeholders to create, coordinate, disseminate, and respond to content, and measure, report on, and translate marketing performance data into actionable recommendations as part of a long-term strategy.
At GSA, we believe the geosciences have a crucial role in making an impact on the world. By understanding the Earth's processes and history, we can better protect our environment, manage natural resources, and mitigate natural disasters. As the person responsible for digital marketing at GSA, you will be part of a team that works towards positively impacting the world.
Essential functions but not limited to:
- Achieve specific objectives and key performance indicators; measure, and report on the impacts of GSA’s marketing programs; establish benchmarks, monitor engagement, and analyze campaign effectiveness to maximize results and help determine long-term strategy.
- Conduct GSA's social media program by planning, creating, organizing, distributing, and archiving relevant content; ensuring appropriate frequency and consistent messaging across channels
- Monitor the social media landscape, track GSA mentions, engage with key influencers, listen for competitive intelligence, and maximize opportunities for promoting a positive brand image
- Create engaging copy to run successful marketing campaigns
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure content is informative and appealing, and assist in suggesting and executing content innovations
- Use web analytics tools to measure site traffic to better optimize marketing campaigns, email marketing, social media, and display and search advertising
- Help grow and maintain a data-driven culture across the Marketing and Communications team
- Work through the online GSA Member Community to better understand member interests and needs; work with various GSA constituencies to launch communities and/or websites
- Research and monitor emerging media tools and applications
- Assist with various marketing or communications projects (webinars, marketing collateral, workshops, presentations, staff and/or leadership trainings, press releases, audits, surveys, talking points, memoranda, public events, etc.) as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism required. Knowledge of or interest in the sciences, and experience communicating with scientists a plus.
- Two to five years experience in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field, to include professional experience using and managing social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, YouTube and/or similar platforms) in a corporate or nonprofit context to support organizational goals, including driving audience engagement.
- Effective written and oral communicator, with excellent presentation, copywriting, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to identify and build content for target audience preferences.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, with solid experience in conducting and interpreting quantitative and qualitative research, obtaining and analyzing data from traditional and digital marketing channels, and translating data analysis into business and marketing optimization recommendations.
- Detail-oriented with solid organizational and planning skills; ability to multi-task and function well under occasional time-pressures.
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a team; self-motivated with a positive, professional approach.
- Mature judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Highly proficient in the use of personal computers and applications, including CMS, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Applications, Google Workspace (or similar), file sharing software, project management software, and virtual meeting software; comfortable learning new software and systems.
- Understanding of SEO and experience in web analytics/tracking technologies, including creating reports using Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager.
- Email marketing experience, familiarity with HTML, and/or video editing skills are a plus.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Full-time, dedicated position
- Occasional travel may be required
- Extensive computer work (six or more hours per day), virtual meetings and phone calls
- Multiple projects and multiple deadlines that create a demanding work environment are standard
An ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism with a minimum of two years of professional experience using Social Media.
The position is full-time. GSA Headquarters is located in Boulder, Colorado. For the right candidate, this position may be conducted remotely. The hourly rate is $24.04 -$ 28.85 per hour, based on experience. GSA provides excellent benefits, including medical, dental, PTO, life insurance, retirement, and opportunities for professional development.
If you are interested in this position, please go to GSA Career Center to apply, submit a resume along detailed cover letter regarding your fit and experience for this position. This position will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply immediately. This position will be open until filled but this posting may close without future notice.
GSA is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace where all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the business's success and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in Organization policy and the way we do business at GSA and is an important principle of sound business management. Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disability/veteran.