Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Cook I to join the Food Services team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Cook I is responsible for help plan, prepare and serve nutritious meals, keep the kitchen, pantries, refrigerators, freezers, dining and serving areas clean, maintained and organized, and work as part of a team to supervise program clients and volunteers assigned to the kitchen.
Our Food Services team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Tuesday – Saturday 9:30 am – 6:00pm and occasional weekends and holidays.
Essential Job Duties
- Prepare and oversee food preparation for daily assigned menu.
- Be willing to work weekends, holidays, and AM or PM shifts as needed.
- Assist with supervising program guests and volunteers assigned to the kitchen and dining area.
- Help to assign program clients and volunteers to clean, organize, and store purchased and donated foods
- Make the best use of foodstuffs by date, labeling, and the first-in/first-out method.
- Kitchen/dining area maintenance, which includes cleaning the kitchen, pantries, refrigerators, freezers, serving line and dining areas
- Ensure proper quality and quantity of food served
- Ability to maintain the Mission’s customer service standards: C.A.R.E.
- Committed: Share God’s passion for service through prayer, honor, integrity, accountability and stewardship
- Attentive: Look out for the needs of others by being thoughtful, genuine, caring, courteous and honest.
- Responsive: Provide effective results by owning each interaction, following through and making and keeping promises.
- Excellent: Continuously strive to exceed expectations by seeking quality and acquiring and sharing knowledge.
- Complete donated food log for all food donations received at kitchen location.
- Work at other Mission locations at the request of the Food Services Director.
- Ensure that all kitchen volunteers log in and out when working in the kitchen.
- Complete meal count log for shift worked at kitchen location
- Attend all Mission meetings and training sessions, as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Excellent food handling and preparation skills required.
- Ability to obtain a food handler’s permit required.
- Ability to work in a team environment required.