- Develop and execute integrated communications strategies that span internal and external audiences to foster alignment and proactively shape stakeholder perceptions.
- Through collaboration, create, and execute all communication and marketing strategies; Implement tactical plans that meet and exceed organizational expectations.
- Reach and influence target audiences by developing and delivering on messaging, creative storytelling, channel strategies, media, and stakeholder engagement plans.
- Collaborate with teams and subject matter experts to identify opportunities and map the path forward for key cross-functional initiatives; Partner with the President & CEO and the Executive Leadership Team, to align the strategy and messaging.
- Develop turnkey tools and resources that foster alignment and coordination of messages across The Arc; Transform complex data into a simple, visual story to develop clear messages and ultimately influence decision makers.
- Facilitate and participate in writing and editing of news releases, publications, brochures, reports, correspondence, ads, speeches, presentations, and other documents; Support the Director of Development & Communications in all donor and development related communications.
- Support and provide overall communications direction to the Director of Engagement and other outreach units across The Arc.
- Partner closely with the Executive Leadership Team and key leaders throughout The Arc to ensure the integrity of one voice for The Arc is maintained.
- Prepare and submit an annual, integrated External Relations budget to the President & CEO and the CFO for review and approval; Manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Manage and coach assigned External Relations staff and consultants.
- Keep up to date on current communications trends in the disability and nonprofit fields through professional development and community/civic involvement.
- Support and collaborate with key leaders and the Director of Strategy on public policy and advocacy efforts.
- Assist in engagement activities and organizational events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, marketing or related field required; Master’s degree is a plus
- Seven years of communication and organizational writing experience required; Deep knowledge in communications; specifically, messaging, social media and marketing strategies
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills; able to easily distill messages into believable, actionable content
- Deep communications expertise that and spans both external (stakeholder, influencer, stakeholder) and internal disciplines
- Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications to drive that strategy
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build trust and influence with leaders and collaborators at all levels
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher), WordPress, social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter); knowledge of CRM databases preferred
Physical & Mental Requirements
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employees will be seated at a desk using a computer and telephone. Duties may be performed from a home office or in The Arc’s Headquarters. Some lifting, up to 25 pounds may be required. This position will spend time at community events in various environments. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to get to locations across Anne Arundel County and Maryland’s Eastern Shore is a requirement of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve non-routine and complex problems; use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work under intensive deadlines with frequent interruptions; and interact with the community stakeholders including elected and appointed officials, staff, people served, the public and others encountered in the course of work.
This position operates in a professional office environment and out in the community. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
This position is full-time. Typical work schedule is Monday through Friday during Arc office hours, with some night and weekend hours based on organization’s needs. This position is eligible for telework options.