POSITION TITLE: Senior Veterinary Technician
REPORTS TO: Veterinarian
EXEMPT OR NON-EXEMPT: Non-exempt
PERCENTAGE OF FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT: 100%
Possess the following attributes and abilities to:
- Lift up to 50lbs to waist level - Frequently
- Lift up to 20lbs to shoulders and above head Frequently
- Walk/stand for long periods of time - Frequently
- Maneuver safely on uneven terrain or in tight spaces - Frequently
- Safely climb ladders when needed Frequently
- Squat, bend, kneel, twist and reach - Frequently.
- Reach above the shoulders - Frequently
- Push and pull larger equipment Frequently
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions and adapt to changing weather Frequently
- Work indoors, under cover without air conditioning or heat Frequently
To oversee all aspects of the hospital and assist in the daily medical care of both resident and rehabilitating animals in coordination with the veterinarian
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee daily medical care of resident and rehabilitating animals- including but not limited to medication dispensing/administration, sample scheduling and collection, sample processing, diagnostic and medical procedures
- Participate in the rapid response to all resident and stranded animal events including those that occur during non-scheduled times of work or outside of CMAs operating hours
- Oversee maintenance of all hospital areas, including sterilization, organization and servicing of medical and laboratory equipment
- Perform all duties related to purchasing of pharmaceuticals, hospital and laboratory supplies, and disposing of expired drugs and supplies
- Perform laboratory diagnostic evaluation including hematology, blood chemistry, cytology, and fecal examinations, as well as preparing samples for submission to outside laboratories
- Correspond and coordinate with veterinarian regarding animal care, medical procedures and rehabilitation
- Assist with euthanasia and post-mortem examinations
- Assist husbandry staff with animal training plans that include medical care elements
- Perform data entry in order to maintain complete and current records including sample storage
- Maintain biohazardous waste and sharps disposal program
- Responds to emergency situations and, in the absence of a veterinarian, makes decisions and carries out the necessary procedures.
- Adhere to all OSHA, USDA, DEA and FWC regulations and make recommendations for work orders to ensure compliance in all areas
- Participate in various PR and media events including professional interviews as deemed necessary or appropriate by the Veterinarian.
- Participate in some or all aspects of the various types of research projects as deemed appropriate by CMAs research committee and Veterinarian.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Veterinary technician degree from an accredited organization with a minimum of five years in veterinary field; or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in zoo or aquarium preferred
- Minimum of three years supervising staff
- Ability to be certified in the state of Florida
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, nights, and/or holidays as needed; must also be able to share a 24/7 on-call schedule in case of emergency situations
- Knowledge of medical procedures and rehabilitation of marine mammals preferred
- Understanding of medical equipment, including but not limited to anesthetic machine, anesthesia monitoring, in-house lab equipment, radiology equipment, ultrasound, endoscopy, autoclave, and gas sterilizer
- Experience in avian and reptile hematology preferred
- Ability to communicate clearly both in writing and verbally and follow complex instructions
- Ability to take initiative and work independently in the absence of supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, word, power point etc.)
- Ability to obtain Florida drivers license
- Familiarity with electronic records is beneficial
The Clearwater Marine Aquarium reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
All job requirements are subject to change to reflect the evolving position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
Company is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. Clearwater Marine Aquarium participates in E-Verify, please view the Notice of E-Verify Participation and the Notice of Right to Work.