We are currently looking for an energetic and dynamic Animal Care Manager –Trainer to join our team. This essential role will be responsible for managing the day-to-day husbandry operations of the care and wellbeing of all animals within the Aquarium.
As the Animal Care Manager – Trainer, you will be accountable for the maintenance of all ambassador animal habitats, as well as leading the animal care training team within the Life Sciences Department.
Additionally, this position is responsible for the continual development of the animal behavior and enrichment programs within the facility. This includes leading public presentations with the facility’s wide variety of ambassador animals and continually developing the skills of the training staff.
- Develop and train animal behavior and enrichment activities, including carrying out public presentations and interactions consistent with the facility’s philosophy and procedures.
- Manage, support and supervise all team members within the Life Sciences Training Department to ensure highest level of safety, courtesy, education, efficiency and operational readiness at all times.
- Manage activities to maintain positive representation to professional agencies, institutions and various committees.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety standards in accordance with local municipality, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Ensure animal care and habitats meet compliance of facility specific policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the maintenance and operation of life support systems and other technical systems.
- Proactively assist in the implementation of new habitats and educational opportunities in order to maximize guest experience.
- Maintain up-to-date electronic records on animal health, water quality, system maintenance, system checks, and stock reports.
- Monitor and identify the effectiveness of habitats, including comprehensive review and improvement of animal habitats and animal care standards.
- Monitor and identify animal health concerns, disease diagnosis and water quality concerns.
- Communicate to General Curator, veterinary and water quality staff any animal health concerns to develop and implement a care and treatment plan.
- Manage and maintain animal behaviors in line with veterinary health check requirements.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policy and procedure documents.
- Assist in the preparation of periodic reports for all Life Sciences Department activities.
- In collaboration with Guest Experience Department and the Aquarium Foundation, ensure habitats and programs engage, educate and entertain diverse audiences.
- Work closely with the Aquarium Foundation to ensure volunteers and educators provide exemplary guest service and engagement.
- Other duties as assigned.