The Senior Instructional Designer for APA's Division of Education's Online Learning Department will work in conjunction with departmental leadership to design and implement innovative instructional design and delivery efforts. This individual will conduct needs assessments to align learning initiatives to expand APA's online learning portfolio. The position requires experience designing and implementing virtual learning collaboratives, eLearning modules (SCORMs), webinars, instructional videos, procuring and managing external vendors, and measuring business impact and effectiveness of deployed learning solutions.
The Senior Instructional Designer must possess a unique balance of technical depth, business knowledge, project management, and strong interpersonal skills. The candidate will build online education materials in coordination with a team of instructional designers and subject matter experts (SMEs), following the ADDIE model. The Senior Instructional Designer will use technical skills, creativity, and experience to develop new and engaging interactive learning experiences. The Division of Education is experiencing rapid growth within our federal grants' portfolio, and this individual will be responsible for ensuring grant deliverables and timelines upheld.
The ideal candidate is an innovative, practical, solution-oriented individual with experience working across multiple instructional delivery modalities. The Senior Instructional Designer will curate and design learning solutions that align with the APAs users' needs, as well manage APA's Learning Center. The position reports to the Director of Online Learning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee, develop, and maintain the catalog of APA's online CME courses
- Partner with psychiatrists, allied organizations, and staff to develop content for courses
- Develop and execute workflows for launching CME activities in APA's Learning Center
- Produce online courses in a variety of formats such as presentation capture, multi-part courses, self-assessments, performance in practice, pulsed learning exams, communities/learning collaboratives, question banks, and/or discussion boards
- Use established methodologies in all instructional design stages, including needs assessment and ADDIE and/or SAM methodologies.
- Create consistent yet creative aesthetics within interactive elements
- Develop project plans under the review of departmental leadership which ensure projects meet established milestones and remain within budget
- Apply quality control standards to the design, execution, and maintenance of online courses
- Import credit claim from Annual Meeting and IPS registration vendor into user transcripts
- Ensure adherence to ACCME criteria for online education in conjunction with the CME Team
- Build and maintain internal and external vendor relationships, and existing vendor relationships to ensure external solutions are designed as intended
- Produce regular reports of Learning Center activity and transmit relevant user data to external groups per grant, contract, and accreditation requirements (e.g., SAMSHA, AACME, ABPN, AAAP)
- Distribute a monthly snapshot of completed online initiatives to key APA stakeholders
- Troubleshoot technical issues related to the LMS and create/track debugging tickets for LMS vendor, question bank vendor, and APA's IT Department
- In conjunction with departmental leadership, contribute to thought leadership on instructional design, best practices, and implementation of blended learning programs.
- Collaborate with others to create prototypes, iterate, and seek feedback from product owners, team members, and other stakeholders throughout the design process
- Communicate effectively with clarity, credibility, and timeliness
- Educate and support APA staff utilizing the LMS for report functionality or customer account access
- Resolve customer inquiries related to online programs/products, course fees, transcripts, etc.
- Interact with outside technology vendors related to special projects to ensure adherence to timeline, budget, and project deliverables
- Performs other duties as assigned